Busa dry sump

Tpacker

Hi all, not sure if any one could advice but looking at buying a Megabusa tomorrow to replace my blade kit car. I am have been doing some research into the dry sump kits as the car I am looking at has the Westfield dry sump. I haven't heard the best reviews about it and really should put the sbd sump on ASAP. With a fairly tight budget in mind I wouldn't beable put a sbd on straight away maybe next years job. Has anybody got anything positive to say about the Westfield sump and is it really as bad as people are making out to me. Thanks Tom 

XTR2Turbo

I have not used one personally but from my prior research the two main issues seem to be the metal bracket cracking over time which should be easy to sort and the risk of stones getting on the drive belt.  I guess shielding and a new belt would offer some protection for the latter.

Perhaps also an ignition kill linked to oil pressure of some kind?

David

The car im looking to buy only has 160 miles from new so hoping it's all in good condition and would be okay for 12-18months until  I get a sbd, just heard a lot of horror stories. I can't understand if it is problematic as people are telling me then why would Westfield fit them?

Castlecroft

Our westie megabusa is 16 years old and has a factory fitted dry sump etc... we've had the car for nearly two years, competed in hill climbs (as per the articles in the wscc mag) so hard running...  and we've had no issues.... ......  .... oops now that's tempting fate

I chose not to fit their kit to mine and went down the SBD route. 

I had read about the failures of the bracket, the exposed belt worried me and then the final thing was the fact that they used jubilee clips to hold some of the oil pipes on. That would have meant getting the fittings remade with proper aeroquip stuff so decided to do it properly once and be done with it.

The other decider for me was that if I ever decided to supercharge the car I would have to get a new dry sump anyway as the charger would go where the scavenge pump is located

Thanks for the replies, that does give me a bit of re assurance that it is useable for 12-18months with out running to higher risk. Although once I could get the finance together I would upgrade to the sbd as a piece of mind.

Have you done any additional protective measures castle croft like gaurds to protect any of it?

Castlecroft

Hi Tpacker, no mods, standard out the box .. we keep a spare belt in case of problems and i do agree that it is a vulnerable area. But the car is fully plated underneath and the hoses are not the lowest point of anything, so if any hard contact is likely to take the assembly off first rather than a hose.