robhume

Building my Eleven

stephenh

Is there enough "give" in the trailing link bushes to pull the axle across a bit to the offside, maybe with a scissor jack? Having disconnected the end of the panhard rod first of course, and then adjust the panhard rod to fit, and hold the axle in a more central position?

robhume

Hi Stephen, 

Worth a try.

Simon Marks - North Oxfordshire AO

Hi, Rob,

Sounds like a moulding (or mis-moulding) issue to me.  With my humble 5J, small offset wheels, this is not an issue I have had to endure.

If it is easy to spring (by hand) the clam away from the nearside wheel to give you a matching clearance to the nearside, it may be possible to bond a stiffener into the inside of the arch to keep it to that shape.  I had been thinking of using electrical conduit for the rear of the bonnet of my car, but my friendly composite expert tells me that he tends to use stick on foam (akin to draught excluder) and lay fibreglass over that to form a strengthening "box".

Simon

robhume

Hi Simo,

When I made some of the bodies for Davrians, I used paper rope and even cardboard tube with matting and resin over. High tech stuff.

stephenh

If you try my suggestion, just remember to check that you are getting the axle central (laterally) to the chassis, otherwise you might end up with the inside edge of one tyre rubbing on something, or the suspension fouling on the chassis.

robhume

I thought I would treat myself and ordered one of these lovely steering wheels.

jacob steering wheel.PNG

• Like 3

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Very nice.

Simon Marks - North Oxfordshire AO

Just the ticket!  Every Eleven should have one of that style IMHO.  Where did you find that?

Simon

• Like 1

robhume

Probably a bit over the top but looks great.

Jacob engineering, Simon.

jonjh1964

Rob,

What size did you go for? Mark at Jacob's recommended 15" as this was what Lotus originally fitted to the Eleven but I went for 14" in the end as fitted to the original 7.  I also went for the Tulip boss, again to match the Lotus original.

Jon

robhume

Jon, I went for 13" as I have that scaffold pole next to my right hand knuckles.

I have held off with the boss as I would like to keep the Westfield supplied upper column and steering wheel for IVA, so

I'll probably have another upper column made to fit inside the Westfield outer tube, if you follow what I mean and

fit a quick release to that. Have you got a pic of your boss/column arrangement

jonjh1964

Rob,

My upper column is the standard Westfield Eleven one and I have a padded Mountney steering wheel with the collapsible boss for the IVA that came from Westfield with my FW kit 5 years ago.

This will replace it post IVA and bolts straight onto the upper column:

59e0e202790c3_SteeringWheelandTulipBoss.thumb.JPG.e168947fe0f01189d0a7030d165c660f.JPG

I have a second inner steering column for the FW with a quick release welded on but do fancy walking around all day with the steering wheel when I've parked the car, on the FW I can lock it in the boot.

• Like 1

robhume

Mark mentioned the "tulip" boss which does look very good but I was not sure which splines, eg,(std mg midget or what) were on the Westfield column and also the standard Mountney

wheel supplied with the kit is dished and is very close to the top of the scuttle above the dash. That made me wonder if the Jacob wheel being flat would have enough clearance.

If the Tulip boss fits the splines on the Wesfield column and there is enough clearance, then I will ask for one of those.

Thanks for the pics.

jonjh1964

Rob,

The Westfield upper column is 48 spline and Jacob Engineering make a tulip boss for it.  If you're happy to wait a week or two I'll fit mine and post some pictures for you, unfortunately the boss I have is a 36 spline and is being posted back to Mark to replace with a 48 spline one and I'm also away in the US with work for a couple of days.

It shouldn't be too difficult to turn up an extension for the boss if required to clear the dash

Jon

pearman00

Do you have a link for Jacob engineering, as I would like to look into getting one.

Tony