robhume

Building my Eleven

robhume

Managed to get a bit more done on the car. The starter motor has been fitted, gear lever screwed back onto the gearbox and I have mounted a single throttle body

and plenum with injectors as a trial, which will be managed by a megasquirt setup.

Unfortunately, the car came back without the ROPS as there was some problem with a supplier, so a drawing has been done and sent to an alternative company.

Fingers crossed, that will now happen.

I also trial fitted the radiator which went fine until I discovered one of the aluminium mounting brackets had been folded the wrong way. Not a problem,

just irritating.

Today's task is the handbrake, assuming I'm allowed as grass needs cutting again and I'm sure I will hear the well used words, can you just do.......

DSC_0104.JPG

DSC_0103.JPG

• Like 1

robhume

Handbrake has now been fitted, together with a new cable.

Trial fitted the rods and assorted clevis pins and split pins prior to painting.

With a small amount of adjustment, the handbrake actually holds the car.

I think there will be a tube welded at a suitable place on the tunnel to contain

an errant propshaft.

DSC_0106.JPG

DSC_0107.JPG

• Like 1

robhume

Unfortunately, no progress at the moment, I thought I was still 21 and lifted a zx10r engine.

Silly boy, my back is causing me really bad pain.

Will I ever learn, probably not.

stephenh

Sorry to hear about the back, Rob. Hope it heals soon. I'm much the same, thinking I can do something, only to find myself in agony the next day, and trying to work out why, when the truth dawns. And the older you get the worse it gets I'm afraid, because it take less and less to do the damage.

Reference your aluminium mounting plate for your radiator, are you sure it is folded wrongly? I was sure one of mine was, until I finally worked out how it worked. If you want a photo of my rad. mounting, pm me your email address, and I'll try and sort out something tomorrow.

Stephen.

• Like 1

stephenh

The radiator mounting brackets are quite flimsy, in my opinion, considering the weight of the radiator, but work once everything is all bolted in.

Both brackets are (or they should be if they are like mine!) more or less "Z" shaped in cross-section. The one which is less bent is the top one. The one which has one end with a more pronounced bend is the bottom one. I personally felt the best method of fitting the assembly was first to attach both brackets to the radiator, then offer it up to the front of the chassis, preferably with a helper to hold it in place, and mark with a felt tip pen or similar where you need to drill holes in the chassis cross rails for the fixings. The longer end or wing of each bracket attaches to the radiator, and the shorter ends or wings mount on the chassis cross rails. I used 2 mountings into the top, round section, cross member and 2 into the bottom, square section cross member. I used rivnuts, and if memory serves me correct, M5 stainless bolts into the rivnuts.

I hope that helps to clarify both for Rob and anyone else ready this as guidance.

• Like 1

robhume

Thanks for the clarification on the radiator aluminium mounting plates Stephen.

Am I correct in thinking there are two thread sizes of track rod ends.

I have the thin rack with steel mountings and have fitted new track rod ends but

cannot get them to pull up tight on the steering arm despite the fact that I have run out

of thread and the rubber boot is hard up against the bottom of the steering arm.

I also have a pair of track rod end for the fat rack and the taper fits in tightly to the

taper on the steering arm, so I am thinking I may have a mismatch. 

Help!

stephenh

I don't think that the this rack and the fat rack components are compatible.  I think you need either all components one or the other. This is because the thin rack is essentially a Leyland Triumph item, whereas the fat rack is a BMC item. So the thin rack is the Mk IV Midget and the fat rack is the Mk III Midget.

The taper of the steering arms to trackrod ends joint is different.

robhume

That's what I thought Stephen, thanks for confirming.

It's going off tomorrow to have the roll over structure fitted and welded, so that 

will give me time to sort out the mismatch.

robhume

Rops has now been fitted to the car by MJS Fabrications of Maldon in Essex.

Also got them to weld a fuel return fitting to the tank and a prop tunnel cross brace,

as this had not been done, so a bit safer now if the prop lets go.

They made a really good job, highly recommended.

DSC_0165.JPG

DSC_0164.JPG

DSC_0163.JPG

DSC_0162.JPG

• Like 6

Mark (smokey mow)

Looks a tidy job Rob and I'm sure up to the job :yes:

Has Martin finished my fuel tank yet :d

robhume

Oh dear,

That might have been the one I reversed over with the trailer, only kidding:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Simon Marks - North Oxfordshire AO

Hi, Rob,

That does look good.  I look forward to see how you manage to wrap the fibreglass around the tubes.  I suspect you will be getting into your car by hopping in from the front of the door - I get into mine from the back.

Simon

robhume

Thank you Simon, yes I'm very pleased with it.

Especially as it is bolted in.

I have been most of today trying various combinations of paper templates

for the rear bodywork and not yet achieved a way of shaping the fibreglass to clear the tubes.

You are correct, stepping in, is over the front of the door but not too difficult and a bit of an incentive to get fitter.

Also having these large tubes around certainly does make the whole car feel very strong and safe.

robhume

Unfortunately the single throttle body and plenum was just too big and clashed with the alternator, so I have used 

ZX10r throttle bodies on a fabricated manifold and all controlled by an MA221 ecu and loom.

I now have all the parts to complete the dry sump system.

The twin master cylinders and bias bar is fitted and all piped up.

Need to order a prop shaft, fit some instruments and add wiring.

Always looking on the positive side, I have arranged for the car to be scrutineered for a passport in early August

and my first event is a hill climb in France at the end of August, no pressure then.

DSC_0177.JPG

• Like 2

robhume

Another stage forward in the build.

I have managed to retain the pivot action of the rear clam with a bit of modification and all the bodywork clears the roll over structure.

The throttle bodies are fitted along with the hoses, pump, filter and regulator.

Dry sump system has the tank and hoses fitted.

I have the cooling system to finish, plus wiring and bleeding the brakes and clutch, then map.

Touch and go for Etretat but keep pressing on, not forgetting the day job.

DSC_0185.JPG

• Like 6