robhume

Building my Eleven

Redescape

+1 on using a cross flow. Either that or a huyabusa, not much else will fit without a bulge... I had to use a period engine for class regs , so put a 1600 xflow in mine. Using the World Cup engine mounts (I got from burtons) makes fitting the cross flow really easy. (And easy to do Engine swaps too)Really the only clearance issues is the rocker cover filler which you must move to the rear - but remember to baffle it really well..Trust me... bad things happen otherwise. I actually sealed mine  with a cap and ran a separate breather, after a spectacular oil leak at high G right hand cornering...(see pic of the cap I made which slides into the relocated filler)

With twin webers, the manifold likely will need to be remachined to change the angle of the carbs a tad. The front fuel banjo and carb cap is still very close to the hood in any event. You’ll then need the side entry dizzy cap too. Speaking of bad things happening, and poor location of distributors..talk to your Weber expert about sealing the choke vents if you’re racing ... both elevens here have spontaneously combusted due to racing conditions and the inherent  dcoe design where high g causes fuel to exit the carbs... and guess where that goes...

As for sumps, the beauty with no cross member, you can make a shallow full length  winged baffled wet sump, with flappers etc and still hold 5 litres.  On 13” rims  and Avon  acb10’s I  had 50mm ground  clearance at full droop, for racetracks this was fine ... but I still had a bash plate under it just in case of excursions .  I race my car and have had no surge issues at all with the wet sump I made.  Dry sump will gain you another 40mm  and the ring gear will likely then be the impact point. All lessons hard learned... EBEB46C0-3967-48B3-B16F-6B090D3FB547.jpeg.498d7bde78fcf2941ded00e34a420148.jpeg

602F021E-F9CE-4C42-9533-99310F13EC0D.jpeg

1656D42F-B53E-4373-8A8A-F8C720C3FD18.jpeg

• Like 1

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Love your oil cap solution!

What a good idea on the engine mounts, too.

robhume

Eventually managed to get some time to trial fit the crossflow engine prior to making the engine mounts.

At the moment it is on the engine crane with some wood blocks under until I get the bonnet clearance set.DSC_0432.thumb.JPG.04c792c6687ccb50d1083923f2d5bec2.JPGDSC_0434.thumb.JPG.c8a927d2616c1de3ec88e4ebb21a5feb.JPG

DSC_0433.JPG

• Like 3

Morris

Ah I wondered how you were getting on with this installation - I'm following with interest.

robhume

Morris, I just thought I would add that I looked at the clearance under the chassis tubes and the bottom of the sump

is below the bottom of the chassis tube by  1/4". The sump, (wet) is what came with Mr T's engine and is 5" from

under the block to the bottom of the sump.  Looks to be a modified crossflow sump, 1600cc type for crank throw clearance.

Once I offer up the bonnet I will be able to see what clearance there is but, the only item I can see that may pose a problem

is the thermostat housing, so may have to mod that a bit.

Out of interest, the dry sump pan I have measures 5" as well, so no benefit to be had size wise, but lubrication we will

have to see.

• Like 1

Morris

Thank you Rob.

Looks like you have plenty of experience in adapting engines to make them fit by understanding what mods work without causing detrimental consequences.

I've clearly a lot to learn in that department and will have to stick to keeping installations basic for a while!

robhume

After a lot of faffing about with the engine crane and blocks of wood, the engine is finally in place and the mountings done.

The idea is similar to that used by Redescape. The aluminium panels on the bottom chassis rails will need a bit of tidying.

There is clearance for the bonnet, even using the thermostat housing with the cap.

The next job is to slightly modify the lower pipe on the manifold, then mate to the existing exhaust system.

I decided to use the Motorsport Electronics Nodiz ignition management with a coil pack and also a 3 bar map sensor as the

carb inlets already had tappings and using the Zetec plug and play loom with some flying lead connections should make it

fairly straight forward.

DSC_0487 (2).JPG

DSC_0489.JPG

nice_guy
On 03/11/2018 at 11:47, Redescape said:

With twin webers, the manifold likely will need to be remachined to change the angle of the carbs a tad. The front fuel banjo and carb cap is still very close to the hood in any event.

Damn, I should have done that too, beside relocating the crossflow lower on my lowline narrow body...

robhume

Progress has been a bit slow on the crossflow install but I have

now managed to fit the cooling hoses, fuel pump, regulator and

modify the accelerator cable to suit the Webers.

The exhaust will need a bit of alteration after the collector box but

not too difficult.

The jobs left to do are; find a home for the ECU and coil pack and,

a very small amount of wiring and hope the whole thing works.

DSC_0500.JPG

DSC_0502.JPG

• Like 5