robhume

Building my Eleven

John
3 hours ago, robhume said:

I've already been told it would as it is classed as an electronic aid.

Ah OK. I didn't realise

robhume

I'm having small problems with the spring loaded bolts that serve as door catches on the Eleven.

It would appear that the bolt is not going far enough into the hole in the GRP and is resulting in 

the door opening.

The main problem is that there appears to be not enough space to get an open ended, normal

thickness spanner in to slacken the nuts which may allow the bolt to be moved slightly so it

engages the hole more positively.

I have been looking for "thin" open ended spanners that may suit but with no success yet and

was wondering if these are available or what the factory uses to fit the bolts in the first place.

stephenh

Long nosed pliers?

robhume

Tried long nose pliers Stephen but still could not do it. However I have found some 3mm thick

open spanners, so hopefully they may do.

jonjh1964

Rob,

My lock has captured nuts welded to the spring loaded bolt mounts. The whole mechanism is adjusted by adding washers between the GRP inner door or elongating the holes to adjust the position.

I had a problem fitting a ‘stack’ of washers and eventually glued them in place with a hot glue gun.

Jon

robhume

Hi Jon,

The problem is, the nuts on mine are not welded to the mount and just keep turning.

So I will have to remove the spring loaded bolts and weld on some nuts and elongate the

holes on the door to give a little adjustment.

When I used the car last August at the hill climb, I had to secure both doors with 

a couple of bungees. Not very high tech but did the job.

• Haha 1

John

Could you make a spanner from a piece of sheet steel?

Simon Marks - North Oxfordshire AO

Hi, Rob,

I've been away from the computer all weekend so rather late to this thread.  So far, I'd be with John and make up a spanner from a strip of steel. 

A couple of "off the wall" suggestions - why not drill and tap the end of the bolt and then threadlock a setscrew in the end to extend the "throw" whilst leaving the mechanism in the same place.  Alternatively, is there clearance to allow for the fitment of an escutcheon on the door jamb?

Simon

robhume

It would be very possible to make a spanner from flat sheet.

One of the nuts is relatively easy to get to but the one nearest the door end is extremely tight for space.

There is probably enough space to fit an escutcheon on the jamb but the nuts and bolts on both doors need

tightening, so I will have to devise a way of doing it.

In the same class as me last year was a Crossle sports racer and he was using spring bonnet catches

to keep the doors closed which actually worked much better than my bungees.

paul kynaston

Bicycle spanner ,they are usually made from flat sheet and thin.

robhume
25 minutes ago, paul kynaston said:

Bicycle spanner ,they are usually made from flat sheet and thin.

Ah, good suggestion, had forgotten about them

robhume

Hopefully the cooling problem has been solved,

I have added a filler neck with an 8mm spigot outlet with a hose going to an vented overflow bottle

with a tube going to the bottom in a small amount of coolant.

The fan cuts in at 95 and goes off at about 82.

I have also added a bit of ducting to direct the airflow to the rad, which is still the Midget one.

Hopefully I will actually get the car out for Hethel.DSC_0348.thumb.JPG.d536adfd055446b59bbbf7365ae55ea5.JPGDSC_0347.thumb.JPG.960370540b189aaf7ede2a2facb0301e.JPG 

• Like 4

robhume

At long last we are doing a sprint. Car loading for the Lotus test track at Hethel.

Apart from the trip to France last year for a hill climb, it's been two years since I last did a sprint,

so back to the beginning for me.DSC_0365.thumb.JPG.7477d3cb77fc52bc14680291f3fde21f.JPG

• Like 3

stephenh

Good luck Rob, I hope it runs well for you.:t-up:

robhume

Thanks Stephen, I hope it all holds together, especially me, age is a wonderful thing but not when you get older.