robhume

Building my Eleven

pearman00

Thanks Simon. Have you done your rollover bar yet ?

Simon Marks - North Oxfordshire AO

Hi, Tony,

Yes, the hoop is in.

IMG_2351.thumb.JPG.3f44a55c0ae0fe305b2ca7889b97cb19.JPG

IMG_2352.thumb.JPG.869ab2afec09e1017cd4192fdbfbaca8.JPG

IMG_2353.thumb.JPG.d237f845cd5aa490b563e60326d8c9af.JPG

IMG_2354.thumb.JPG.8de84c96dd8659b137de0c21077b85aa.JPG

IMG_2356.thumb.JPG.5caf9dc90fe6a0804903d3ebe79c9d21.JPG

The reality is that I must remember to duck if I do tip the car over!  I am still thinking about giving myself better protection, without destroying the look of the car.  I think that I ought to be able to get a hoop that starts on the top of the transmission tunnel, come up in front of the clamshell in the centre of the car, hoop round in front of and above the clamshell hump and come down onto a base fabricated to cantilever from the junction of the seat belt bar and the short tube picking up the offside rear shock absorber.  I need to mock this up and see what sort of braces could be incorporated back to the rearmost pair of my existing hoop mounts.  For trackdays, I would have a detachable brace from the hoop down to the passenger floor.  I have seen similar hoops on historic racing Lotus Elevens and even on an old Westfield Eleven that I came across at a show this summer.  Please don't expect any rapid progress with this - I have other cars to attend to over the winter!

I took the car to Abingdon airfield recently for a trackday and it attracted kind comments.

ACK-Photography-Abingdon-Trackday-220917.thumb.jpg.b86999d21cb6e1b4c94f6ae87108ca6b.jpg

Unfortunately, I was not allowed to do more than the sighting laps as it failed the static noise test, yielding 101dB(A) vs 100dB(A).  Whilst this seems very nit-picky, particularly as the A series is not a revvy engine, the agreement with the local Council Environmental Health Officer is based entirely on the static test so I had to respect the decision.  I took the Eleven home and returned with the family "pool" car - a Mark 1 Skoda Octavia VRS which comfortably managed 60 miles on track in several sessions.  The layout kept the porky Skoda down to 90mph, so I only used 2nd and 3rd gear.  It returned 10mpg and, rather astonishingly, the temperature gauge never moved at all - I thought this rather impressive from a 15-year old saloon car.

ACK-Photography-S3NCsV7j-1506193594-bFwG3RuH_(2).thumb.jpg.fb04b05650b92ad599c443856546c550.jpg

To reduce the sound level on the Eleven, I am going to drill out the rivets holding the Westfield supplied silencer together, and make the box repackable.  When I built my car, I had the Westfield supplied cone in it for quite a while and I think that this may have directed hot gases towards the packing and, possibly, burned the goodness out of it.  Certainly, heat marking is visible on the the front part of the box.  I will then reassemble the box using rivnuts to seal it and will report back.  My car has now covered 1750 miles which may also have seen progressive deterioration.  With this in mind, I would suggest that you and current builders leave the cone out of the pipe until just before the IVA, removing it quickly afterwards so that the hot gases pass linearly through the box.

Simon

• Like 2

robhume

Looking at this at the moment with a view to certification but looking at a design that would suit 

cars with the head fairing and also those without.

• Like 1

robhume

Today I received a package containing a rather nice Springall steering wheel and boss from Jacob engineering.

Beautifully made and feels really good, just need to be spaced out a bit for clearance.DSC_0260.thumb.JPG.dcb6e6f3ee6b9b10c1467b7215cda035.JPG

• Like 5

robhume

This is a bonnet bulge free update, ha,ha.

Finally got a spacer for fitting between the wheel and the boss, thank goodness my measuring was ok.

DSC_0284.JPG

• Like 3

robhume

Snowdrops and crocus have popped up, it must be time to start cardening.

A quick paint job on the roll bar which, I think makes a bit of difference to the appearance

Gear lever changed but still a few other jobs to do, like moving the fire extinguisher to the passenger foot well,

much easier for checking the date.

Then it will be off to have a bit of engine work done, new cams and such, plus more mapping,

hopefully adding a bit more horsepower.

DSC_0295.JPG

• Like 2

robhume

When I eventually get round to putting my car through IVA, and if, emphasising if, the proposed emission change becomes law,

would my Zetec engine with injection and with the addition of a cat, pass the current emission test.

Hi, Rob,

I would have thought that a catalyst equipped Zetec ought to be able to be made to pass the IVA and subsequent MOTs.  What I don't know is how the power output would be affected when tuned with an emissions bias.

Simon

robhume

Two maps plus alternative exhaust system for comps? 

The way the response has been to the consultation, it may not be necessary, possibly.

My fingers are tightly crossed on the last point - to the extent that it is hampering my typing speed! :d

robhume

Reading various other forums Simon, it would appear there is quite a massive response, so should make them think.

This really is good news.  The two Classic Car weekly papers have both run articles yesterday so they should, hopefully, motivate that even larger group against similar threats to their vehicles.  Maybe the haste in which this threat has appeared will also be the demise of anything controversial as they would appear not to want any delays in implementing the legislation.

Power to the (kit and classic car driving) People!

MK11

I've responded to the consultation. 

I expect the large response to have precisely zero impact on the proposals but at least we made some attempt.  Once the "green" blanket is thrown over some proposed legislation then woe betide any who try to pull it off, the enviromentalists will pillory any who try.