robhume

Building my Eleven

Hope it goes well over the weekend - getting to drive the Lotus Circuit at Hethel must be quite a buzz.

Thanks Jon,

The Lotus test track is very good,  been there before over the years and it's not too far.

• Like 2

Would anyone know the diam of an MG Midget brake calliper piston and also what size the rear brake cylinder is.

Thank you in advance.

7 hours ago, robhume said:

Would anyone know the diam of an MG Midget brake calliper piston and also what size the rear brake cylinder is.

Thank you in advance.

1.998” or 50.7mm

https://brakeparts.co.uk/shop/Morris/Midget/74-80/MG Midget 1500/Front - Brake Calipers and Wheel Cylinders/BCA0134

Jon, Thanks for that.

There were some issues over the weekend, one of which is the braking, or lack of it.

Need to do a proper master cylinder sizing job along with some other considerations

to get the braking working.

A seal on the near side rear axle has gone again plus there is a leak from the diff casing.

I changed the rear springs to 150 pounds but that was a mistake. It made the turn in very heavy

and understeered badly. The only way I can describe it was like trying to turn in a lorry without

power steering, so old springs will go back on and a slight pressure reduction in the front tyres.

Oh and more worrying was the fact that the rear wheel nuts were undoing themselves, so not

sure what is causing that.

Two and a bit weeks to Etretat, need to pull my finger out.

Whilst working through the items to be repaired/changed after the visit to Hethel, I decided to do a front brake upgrade.

I finally settled on the KAD 4 pot callipers for the MG Midget with some Mintex 1144 pads.

These particular callipers are a straight bolt on replacement for the Midget ones and represent a 4kg weight saving.

The gold anodised finish is what was available, a bit too bling for me but they do the job well, so no matter.

DSC_0367.JPG

• Like 5