robhume

Building my Eleven

The eleven has come back from storage after our house move and it's like collecting the kit all over again.

My build will be used for hill climbs using a 1.8 ex formula ford zetec with dry sump, so a little different to

usual Eleven build.

DSC_0051.JPG

Trial fit of the Zetec engine prior to fabricating some engine mounts.

DSC_0052.JPG

• Like 1

I will be using a Quaife 4 speed dog box with decent ratios

quaife dog box.jpg

• Like 1

And to handle the torque, a 3J Driveline LSD and halfshafts

DSC_0014.JPG

• Like 1

Fitting the engine and gearbox in is challenging, especially as the dry sump system uses the same mounting points for the

engine mounts on one side. However cardboard is cheap and easy to form to mock up some ideas.

How well does it fit under the bonnet?  What sort of ground clearance do you end up with?

The position of the engine has not yet been finalised and it is still sitting on blocks, so difficult to give

a reliable answer. The overall height of the engine, bottom of sump pan to top of oil filler on the cam cover is

about 600mm and the size from the under side of the bottom chassis rail to the scuttle flange where the bonnet

rests is 585mm approx. so it will fit as you can see from the pic but I will have to take account of the bonnet slope

towards the front of the car. The sump pan will be below the bottom chassis rail but not by much.

Sorry, can't be more accurate than that at the moment.

remember to check clearance for the clutch arm if you use a cable system rather than hydraulic

Cheers Terry, thanks for reminding me. It's all back out at the moment to fit bellhousing etc, then I can see how I'm placed clearance wise.

New bog standard callipers fitted and longer wheel studs

DSC_0066 (2).JPG

Quick try of one of the rear wheels to be fitted with R888R tyres

DSC_0069.JPG

They look like they have a deep offset rob. Will they go under the clam arches?

No worries John, all good 7" wide rims but had to keep to 205 section tyres. Fronts are a different matter though 5.5" and 175 section tyres.

Am using Toyo R888R, so be interesting to see how they perform.

I also have some 6" and 7" Allycats and may fit those with slicks.

I'm not too worried about turning on a hill or track but paddocks may be a hassle.

The new bellhousing, flywheel hydraulics and clutch bits should come today and if I'm allowed to play at the weekend

I may get the engine and box built up but the plan is to get the car onto the wheels and tyres and get the ROPs  sorted.

Time does fly past and spent far too much time moaning about the revised class structure that will be

used in the southern regions.

Daffs are starting to sprout, so need get mi finger out.