ralphy

Bonnet measurement help please

ralphy

Could some kind owner please confirm the rear width of the narrow-bodied bonnet please?

For completeness, it would be helpful to find out the difference in measurement between the narrow and wide-body bonnets too.

Thanks.

R

Captain Colonial

Width at the bottom of the rear I assume?

If you're wondering if a wide body bonnet will fit a narrow body car, the answer is most definitely no, it's much wider, about 2" per side and can't be adapted to fit.

• Like 1

Mark (smokey mow)
40 minutes ago, Scott Young - WSCC Chairman said:

Width at the bottom of the rear I assume?

If you're wondering if a wide body bonnet will fit a narrow body car, the answer is most definitely no, it's much wider, about 2" per side and can't be adapted to fit.

Its also not the easist measurement to take as once the bonnet is removed from the car for measuring there is so much flex in the top and sides that the resulting measurement can be +/- 2" depending on how you're holding it.

the best place to measure is at the bottom of the scuttle, but as Scott has already confirmed, a narrow will be around 2" less than a wide.

ralphy

Thanks guys.

I could do with an actual measurement though.  I've got someone who has a bonnet in store that I want to buy, but he doesn't't know if it is narrow or wide.  We've established that the front of the bonnet is the correct size, but I cannot access my car to measure the size at the rear.  I appreciate fibreglass flexes, but the measurement across the chassis (at the point where the rear of the bonnet sits) should be a specific figure, shouldn't it?

R  

Mark (smokey mow)
29 minutes ago, ralphy said:

I appreciate fibreglass flexes, but the measurement across the chassis (at the point where the rear of the bonnet sits) should be a specific figure, shouldn't it?

Yes it will be if measuring on the car, but how is the selling measuring their bonnet for you? Are they measuring a very flexible piece of fibreglass or do they have a car which they can take an accurate measurement from?

The safe option would be to identify if the sellers car was a wide or narrow and if it was a narrow then whether it is a highline or lowline nose.

see this handy guide here :)

ralphy
6 hours ago, Mark Wendon (smokey mow) - WSCC Club Secretary said:

Yes it will be if measuring on the car, but how is the selling measuring their bonnet for you? Are they measuring a very flexible piece of fibreglass or do they have a car which they can take an accurate measurement from?

The safe option would be to identify if the sellers car was a wide or narrow and if it was a narrow then whether it is a highline or lowline nose.

see this handy guide here :)

Thanks, I'd read the guide as part of trying to find the info I need and I've established that the seller's bonnet is a highline (which is what I need).  

R

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Sorry, but you just can't tell from a narrow bonnet that's been stored loose for any length of time whether it will fit or not.

Trust me, I made a round trip to a Bristol and back to purchase a secondhand bonnet once, as certain people like to remind me, it was such a last minute rush I forgot to ask if it was wide or narrow, just that it was definitely ZK and not earlier kit bodywork.

I even had it side by side with my wide bonnet on the drive, and it looked as near as damn it the same width. It was only when I went to test fit it on the car that I realised that the scuttle end had just settled and spread, while it was in storage. As soon as you pulled the sides back in again as normal, it was much narrower, either side.

Thats why when you buy a bonnet from the factory, it comes screwed down to a timber frame; it's the only way, off the car, to keep the shape and dimensions correct, in storage.

unfortunately, if all that the seller has is the bonnet, there's going to be no definitive way to check what it is and you'll just have to take a chance. 

Oh, and if you didn't know how much a bonnet can "spread" by, this is my old (scrap) V8 bonnet. Stored, in the loosest sense, behind the shed...

IMG_4028.JPG

I'd pulled the back edges of the bonnet slightly closer together for this shot, but each side was still 3 - 4" wider than they should have been. Before that, the whole rear of the bonnet at the lower corners was a foot wider than normal!!!

(I had to leave the whole bonnet for a day or so in the sun, with a ratchet strap round the rear of it, steadily tightening it up every few hours or so to get it back roughly to shape!)

• Like 1

ralphy

^^^ Points well made and taken on board, thanks Dave.

I don't think 'taking a chance' is viable, the distance is even greater than your Cheshire/Bristol trip!

R

Rush Motorsport

Where is it Ralph maybe a local member can help?

• Like 1

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary
1 hour ago, RussH said:

Where is it Ralph maybe a local member can help?

Absolutely.

ralphy

Update:  I've now managed to establish that the bonnet is for a wide-body, so no use for me.  :-(

I've updated the FAQ's bodywork thread 'Spot the Difference' to reflect that narrow bonnets are 940mm wide (at the scuttle end) and wide bonnets are 990mm.

Thanks for all the comments, the search goes on...

R