Sign in to follow this  
stephenh

Fitting the exhaust manifold

stephenh

So how do I fit the Westfield manifold to the MG Midget cylinder head? The front pipe, for no. 1 cylinder and the centre pipe for nos. 2 & 3 combined are correctly orientated, but the rear pipe for no 4 cylinder is too far back to fit on it's stud. It isn't a long way out, I haven't measured it but I'd guess about

mm. so no way can I spring it on by hand. 

Also the pipes have only been welded on the outside to the flanges, not on the inside, so when you look inside the cylinder head end of the manifold, the ends of the pipes are sharp ends which don't align quite with the inner edges of the manifold flanges, if you see what I mean. Should I fettle the edges to try and remove the worst of it, or leave it as it is? I'll see if I can show this on a photo.

My experience so far with this kit is that the quality of the Westfield welding falls somewhere between poor and sh*te.

IMGP5768_zpsh1yblfyv.jpg

IMGP5769_zpsgprarps4.jpg

IMGP5771_zps1zkgdbkb.jpg

Simon Marks - North Oxfordshire AO

Hi, Stephen,

I had no such issue with mine but if I would suggest that you wrap a small ratchet strap around the pipes and tighten it.  Alternatively, tie a nylon string loop around the pipes then put a small spanner in between the sides of the loop and use this as a winder to tighten that up. 

Should be quick enough to get you back in the house in time for Pointless!

Simon

stephenh

Isn't that likely to pull one of the other pipes out of alignment Simon?

Simon Marks - North Oxfordshire AO

Hi, Stephen,

For a small amount such as this, I would carry out the "squeeze" with the left two pipes on the studs as shown in your top picture.  I would think that it would soon come into shape and be able to be slid home and bolted up.   I have had to do this in the past with other aftermarket exhaust manifolds I have encountered.  I don't think it would cause a fracture further down as the dimension change is so small and will be placing the joint further on in compression, rather than tension.

What have Westfield had to say about it?  I suppose that it is unlikely that they have another manifold on the shelf! 

I have seen a thread on the Westfield Eleven forum discussing exhausts and that people are going to Maniflow to have the manifolds replicated with much better work internally where the pipes meet the flanges.  The gas flow is reported to be much better and releases power.  More duplicate spending, though!

Simon

Terryathome

Get the blow torch on it, might need two

stephenh

Well I've got it on, using methods suggested, thanks guys!

Next stage, I want to have it ceramic coated inside and out by Camcoat, but the welding is so aweful I've taken it to a mate of mine who is a brilliant tig welder, to weld the ends of the pipes where they are just inside the flanges as Westfield's welders haven't welded that bit at all, and to tidy up the external welding which is pretty untidy to say the least. There are even little holes left by the welder. 

I did speak to Mark, and to be fair he offered to have a look at it, but I have lost all confidence in their welders, and so I'd rather spend a few bob having it done properly by someone who can weld rather than another cowboy job.

MK11

I think I went old school and hit it repeatedly with a big hammer until it gave in.

• Like 1