Sign in to follow this  
stephenh

Fitting the exhaust manifold

stephenh

So how do I fit the Westfield manifold to the MG Midget cylinder head? The front pipe, for no. 1 cylinder and the centre pipe for nos. 2 & 3 combined are correctly orientated, but the rear pipe for no 4 cylinder is too far back to fit on it's stud. It isn't a long way out, I haven't measured it but I'd guess about

mm. so no way can I spring it on by hand. 

Also the pipes have only been welded on the outside to the flanges, not on the inside, so when you look inside the cylinder head end of the manifold, the ends of the pipes are sharp ends which don't align quite with the inner edges of the manifold flanges, if you see what I mean. Should I fettle the edges to try and remove the worst of it, or leave it as it is? I'll see if I can show this on a photo.

My experience so far with this kit is that the quality of the Westfield welding falls somewhere between poor and sh*te.

IMGP5768_zpsh1yblfyv.jpg

IMGP5769_zpsgprarps4.jpg

IMGP5771_zps1zkgdbkb.jpg

tisme

That looks really bad - how are the three pipes welded together ?

I'd suspect that if you tried to close up the top pipes to fit, you'd probably crack the welds lower down (or they'd crack once the engine started).

I'd certainly get back to Westfield on this (there isn't any other BMC head design this could be for?) - they must have used a template (surely) to weld it up and then checked it afterwards (ok, perhaps they didn't).

Try using an exhaust gasket to see where the stud holes should line up. I'd also recommend filing down any lips or weld on the inside.

stephenh

I suspect that it was welded on a jig, in fact I'm  sure it was, but that having welded it it was taken off the jig before it had cooled down sufficiently so that it was allowed to distort after being taken off the jig as it cooled.