So far

Insuranceman

Insuranceman

Went to get my Covid jab at York today. Called into Daytuner to see Damian, he has fitted the new cat/silencer but hasn’t been able to get it tested. The silencer is a 6” diameter which is a bigger diameter than the original so the guard doesn’t fit. Does anyone know if there has to be guard fitted to the silencer for the IVA?

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Insuranceman

• Adge Cutler- Dorset AO

• Chris Brading

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was hoping my dad would be the first to start my car but I couldn't contact him.  Here is a vid of it starting, sorry the light is bad but it gets dark up north on a night. It's dark but I a

Got the seats in tonight, 40 minutes for the drivers side then 2 hours for the passenger side, copied off Chris and took 40mm off the release bar.

IVA booked in at Gosforth on the 11th May. Hopefully picking my car from Daytuner this week. Few things to sort before IVA. One was the normal speed wipers not working but high speed is working

Posted Images

Steve Smith - AO Hampshire And Isle Of Wight

My car past Iva with no guard fitted.

Insuranceman
15 hours ago, Steve Smith - AO Hampshire And Isle Of Wight said:

My car past Iva with no guard fitted.

Thanks Steve, I’ll not buy one yet. Maybe after IVA.

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO
32 minutes ago, Insuranceman said:

Thanks Steve, I’ll not buy one yet. Maybe after IVA.

I'd not bother, the primary pipe will be hotter than the silencer.  You just learn to keep away from it once you've burnt your trousers on it 🤦‍♂️

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

The guards only really came about as a historic thing on Sevens. In the old days, with way less stringent noise regs, they used to have much, much smaller diameter silencers, which were small enough diameter to actually get quite hot, not down pipe/manifold hot, but hot enough.

With a guard on, they worked out a similar diameter to modern high performance silencers, though some were still just a little smaller!

While the modern “track day” style 6 and 7” diameter silencers do get warm, it’s only normally the tip of the tail pipe and the manifold section that are hot enough to actually burn, and the silencers have so much surface area, that once stopped, they start loosing heat quite fast.

(the main exception to this are the silencers with cats built in, Westfield don’t do many, but there have been a few cars with them) in certain circumstances, the cat can get extremely hot, well into the deep and nasty burn territory if you touched one.

Insuranceman
21 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

The guards only really came about as a historic thing on Sevens. In the old days, with way less stringent noise regs, they used to have much, much smaller diameter silencers, which were small enough diameter to actually get quite hot, not down pipe/manifold hot, but hot enough.

With a guard on, they worked out a similar diameter to modern high performance silencers, though some were still just a little smaller!

While the modern “track day” style 6 and 7” diameter silencers do get warm, it’s only normally the tip of the tail pipe and the manifold section that are hot enough to actually burn, and the silencers have so much surface area, that once stopped, they start loosing heat quite fast.

(the main exception to this are the silencers with cats built in, Westfield don’t do many, but there have been a few cars with them) in certain circumstances, the cat can get extremely hot, well into the deep and nasty burn territory if you touched one.

Hi Dave,

This one has a Cat built in so I might buy one after the IVA to stop my OH burning herself.

Rich201060
6 hours ago, Insuranceman said:

Hi Dave,

This one has a Cat built in so I might buy one after the IVA to stop my OH burning herself.

Thats one good thing about the S2000 its on the drivers side, so its just me who melts their trousers oh and burns their leg, much to my other half's amusement 😃

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Insuranceman

IVA booked in at Gosforth on the 11th May.
Hopefully picking my car from Daytuner this week.

Few things to sort before IVA. One was the normal speed wipers not working but high speed is working. 

• Like 5
Insuranceman

Picked my car up this afternoon from Daytuner. Drive home no problem. Just tried the engine revs at 2500 and it still miss fires. 🤨😤😡

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
NickBW
1 hour ago, Insuranceman said:

Picked my car up this afternoon from Daytuner. Drive home no problem. Just tried the engine revs at 2500 and it still miss fires. 🤨😤😡

Have you called Daytuner?

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO
2 hours ago, Insuranceman said:

Unbelievable! It will be very interesting to hear what they have to say.

• Sad 1
Chris King

Surprised me - my experience of daytuner was exceptionally good. 

Chris King
4 hours ago, Insuranceman said:

Drive home no problem

So was this in the car - and all was well when you left?

Steve (sdh2903)

If it drove back OK it sounds more and more to me like an intermittent electrical issue. A bad earth, a breaking/broken wire, a pushed back pin in a plug or a dry solder joint etc etc. 

Insuranceman

The car drove back but there was a couple of back fires when slowing down. It drove back better than it drove to Daytuner.

My plan now is to fit throttle bodies(I purchased the upgrade kit from Westfield), get the injectors tested, check out the wiring from ecu to injectors. Ask for my IVA to be put back to a later date. If that doesn’t work can anyone loan me there engine just for the IVA?

I have started the fitting the throttle bodies but have some questions.

The new throttle cable doesn’t have a threaded ferrule where it goes through the bulkhead to the pedal, is this right? See pictures 2 & 3.

Are the injectors held in place at the fuel rail, non found in kit?

I have damaged the ‘O’ rings on the fuel injectors that fit into the fuel rail, they are really tight, does anyone know where to buy them from?

On the old induction manifold there is the idle motor, I think this is not used on the throttle bodies so what happens with the connection to the idle motor?

I hope someone help?

C96FEB27-88CE-451D-B85C-A55C7262CEBF.jpeg

94B0D39F-4B95-4DF5-8FFB-DBE3BB3BE3DD.jpeg

73561938-6ACE-424F-90F1-B5AD745D322E.jpeg