So far

Insuranceman

Insuranceman

Been looking over my car, the first time for a few months.

Seen the clutch release cable adjuster and was wondering if it is correct? Tried get the nut over the ball end of the cable but it wont.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

IMG_2408.JPG

IMG_2407.JPG

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Insuranceman

• Adge Cutler- Dorset AO

• Chris Brading

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was hoping my dad would be the first to start my car but I couldn't contact him.  Here is a vid of it starting, sorry the light is bad but it gets dark up north on a night. It's dark but I a

Got the seats in tonight, 40 minutes for the drivers side then 2 hours for the passenger side, copied off Chris and took 40mm off the release bar.

Picked module 3 up last Friday and Ian loaded the van and answered a lot of questions from me.  I need to find the centre line of my car. Can i just measure the centre of the front and rear chass

Posted Images

Quinten

Yes, the 1st nut sets the position/length and the 2nd 'locks' it in place.  I've got the same arrangement on my car.

• 2 months later...
Insuranceman

Took my car on the road for the first time last week. Went to a MOT station to get the brakes and emissions tested. The emissions failed at fast idle. There is a misfire which caused CO to fail. I have been trying to get my laptop to connect to the Omex ecu but no joy. First the usb to com cable has no driver and the MAP4000 cannot open port COM. I got the cable off ebay and tried yesterday to find a driver on the web but nothing will work. Tried changing the COM port but still same message. Just needing some help.

My OH told me to get someone to look at it but as I explained we are on lockdown.

corsechris

If you’re really stuck, I could remote in to your laptop and see if I can help to get it going. That presumes the laptop has an internet connection and you are OK to install TeamViewer and have some random bloke you’ve never met driving your computer!

PM me if you want to try that. I’m free this afternoon.

First step is sorting that driver though, without getting the USB serial port working it’s pointless trying the next step. There’s always the next potential hurdle too, USB serial ports can be problematic even once the drivers are sorted, unless you are using a known-good combination then it can be a bit of a lottery.

Insuranceman
2 hours ago, corsechris said:

If you’re really stuck, I could remote in to your laptop and see if I can help to get it going. That presumes the laptop has an internet connection and you are OK to install TeamViewer and have some random bloke you’ve never met driving your computer!

First step is sorting that driver though, without getting the USB serial port working it’s pointless trying the next step. There’s always the next potential hurdle too, USB serial ports can be problematic even once the drivers are sorted, unless you are using a known-good combination then it can be a bit of a lottery.

Thanks for the offer Chris, I think your right about the driver for the cable, maybe I should buy one that comes with the software on a cd. Unfortunately I have been told, orders from my OH, that I have to continue the decorating of our sons old bedroom today. 😒.Deadline being before Christmas school holidays, thats when he returns from teaching in Leeds.

Insuranceman
On 22/11/2020 at 09:23, corsechris said:

Bought a new cable, with driver, from Amazon. Arrived to day and it works. Setup as per instruction from Omex but still have the misfire. I did notice that the hole in the butterfly flap was already at 3.5mm.

• Like 1
corsechris

Glad you sorted the comms problem. Can’t help with the Omex setup I’m afraid, what experience I have is all on Emerald systems.

I think a miss-fire is likely to be a lean mixture, rather than rich as they tend to be able to run incredibly rich, but not so much when lean. Is there a Lambda probe on the car? 

Insuranceman
23 minutes ago, corsechris said:

Glad you sorted the comms problem. Can’t help with the Omex setup I’m afraid, what experience I have is all on Emerald systems.

I think a miss-fire is likely to be a lean mixture, rather than rich as they tend to be able to run incredibly rich, but not so much when lean. Is there a Lambda probe on the car? 

There is a Lambda probe fitted.

corsechris

Next question then is can your ECU do logging, so you can see if the AFR is doing anything odd in the area you are getting the misfire. Alternatively, can you live monitor it while provoking the misfire. Basically, catch it in the act and see if there are any clues. Of course, reading AFR is potentially a bit chicken & egg because a different issue could be causing the misfire....which of course tends to mess with the AFR reading!

Do a sanity check on the map too, look for any really obvious/dramatic shifts in fuel or timing around the trouble spot. Not unheard of for the odd rogue value to end up in a map. If the software does a contour plot of the maps that’s a really easy way to spot anomalies as they literally stick out like a sore thumb.

Insuranceman
9 hours ago, corsechris said:

Next question then is can your ECU do logging, so you can see if the AFR is doing anything odd in the area you are getting the misfire. Alternatively, can you live monitor it while provoking the misfire. Basically, catch it in the act and see if there are any clues. Of course, reading AFR is potentially a bit chicken & egg because a different issue could be causing the misfire....which of course tends to mess with the AFR reading!

Do a sanity check on the map too, look for any really obvious/dramatic shifts in fuel or timing around the trouble spot. Not unheard of for the odd rogue value to end up in a map. If the software does a contour plot of the maps that’s a really easy way to spot anomalies as they literally stick out like a sore thumb.

Hi Chris, 

I think it does logging. I have downloaded the logger software off the Omex website. I'll try tonite after work. 

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO
2 hours ago, Insuranceman said:

Hi Chris, 

I think it does logging. I have downloaded the logger software off the Omex website. I'll try tonite after work. 

If it's a 600 you can only log with a laptop connected. You need a 710 to log with just the ECU.

Insuranceman
9 hours ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

If it's a 600 you can only log with a laptop connected. You need a 710 to log with just the ECU.

Sorry Ian i should of said that i would be using my laptop.

I have been in touch with Guy at Omex, he must have the patience of a saint, and he sent me instruction of how to create a log when the engine is running. I have done it and just sent the file to him. So hopefully he will be able to tell me what is happening and maybe how to sort it.

• Like 1
Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO
3 minutes ago, Insuranceman said:

Sorry Ian i should of said that i would be using my laptop.

I have been in touch with Guy at Omex, he must have the patience of a saint, and he sent me instruction of how to create a log when the engine is running. I have done it and just sent the file to him. So hopefully he will be able to tell me what is happening and maybe how to sort it.

He's a useful and helpful chap!

Insuranceman

Guy at Omex has looked at the file and says that the ECU is working correctly. He thinks it could be the cat not working😳or the cylinders running unevenly😯. I am hoping it is the latter. He has requested a copy of the ECU map which I have sent to him.

Insuranceman
On 25/11/2020 at 18:16, Insuranceman said:

Guy at Omex has looked at the file and says that the ECU is working correctly. He thinks it could be the cat not working😳or the cylinders running unevenly😯. I am hoping it is the latter. He has requested a copy of the ECU map which I have sent to him.

Guy has sent me updated map. I have installed it but still have the misfire at 2500rpm. It might not be the ECU so I have bought some plugs to eliminate them, if that doesn’t work I’ll change the leads.