Insuranceman

So far

29 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

No, you need, as you suspect, to trim a little bit out of that corner so that the top of the fillet fits around the frame and can sit up against the glass, while the lower bit goes under the pillar.

Thanks Dave, now it makes sense why the fillet bows out in the middle of the screen. 

• Like 1

Tried fitting the fillet again tonight, trimmed edge so it fits around the windscreen, not fitting, it will take some more fettling around the area that meets the scuttle. Called a halt to that and started tidying up the wiring around the rear lights seemed to go alright, dropped the boot box in but it doesn't sit on the flange in the tub, it's as if it is sitting in the middle near the filler cap but not on the outer edges near the wheel arches. Do I drill the holes for the bolts and clamp it down?

Fillet , wipers and screen are the ballache jobs . You are wise to keep focused and find something else to do. I try not to remember how much time I spent with that hateful job.

With the boot box, have you lifted the middle of the rear panel by having the fuel hose too long and bolting it up ? The panel should sit reasonably flat . Put a rule along the panel behind the fuel filler area (towards the rear of the car)   to see how flat it is.

30 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Fillet , wipers and screen are the ballache jobs . You are wise to keep focused and find something else to do. I try not to remember how much time I spent with that hateful job.

With the boot box, have you lifted the middle of the rear panel by having the fuel hose too long and bolting it up ? The panel should sit reasonably flat . Put a rule along the panel behind the fuel filler area (towards the rear of the car)   to see how flat it is.

It is as if the rear tub is high in the middle and low at the wheel arches. I could unbolt the lower aluminium support plate and the use a jack to slowly lift the tub with the boot box in place to see if that improves the fit?

I ended up using a bit of rubber insertion to pack up the o/s of my boot box to sort of level it as best I could. Helps the drainage on wet days is my excuse! Rear tub is sort of flattish on top, just don't look too closely at the fit on the ali angle! Yet another feature of the FW body fit I believe. Unless somebody can explain where I've gone wrong??

Don't worry, you'll get fillet fir in the end, as TJ says it's a real PITA!

2 minutes ago, AdgeC said:

I ended up using a bit of rubber insertion to pack up the o/s of my boot box to sort of level it as best I could. Rear tub is sort of flattish on top, just don't look too closely at the fit on the ali angle! Yet another feature of the FW body fit I believe. Unless somebody can explain where I've gone wrong??

The mould and the glass resin is a bit wibbly wobbly . Its the nature of plastic resin panels that are fresh. I had a high spot starting to show on the nose cone from the rad surround. I dremmeled  it away and over a couple of months, it has moulded back into the nose shape. Issues are when they loose their greeness and thats when the cracking starts if stressed. My bodywork isnt 'precision' fitted , so I didnt overstress the body, with a view it wont crack when it dries.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AdgeC said:

I ended up using a bit of rubber insertion to pack up the o/s of my boot box to sort of level it as best I could. Helps the drainage on wet days is my excuse! Rear tub is sort of flattish on top, just don't look too closely at the fit on the ali angle! Yet another feature of the FW body fit I believe. Unless somebody can explain where I've gone wrong??

Don't worry, you'll get fillet fir in the end, as TJ says it's a real PITA!

Did the boot lid fit ok after using the rubber?

1 hour ago, Insuranceman said:

Did the boot lid fit ok after using the rubber?

Yep, IMHO it's a reasonable fit. Needed to pack it up to level the lid. Not perfect, but I'm happy.

Both outer corners are slightly proud, barely noticeable in reality, n/s looks worse than it is in this photo!

image.thumb.jpeg.409246c985f2ed566b9eec803400995c.jpeg

Used draught excluder on top face of boot box!

image.thumb.jpeg.cb8a891dd0a9794fbf1eae171eaf3f4d.jpeg

Thick, firm foam inside boot lid, to level with underside o lid return lip, as per TJ's suggestion

image.thumb.jpeg.cab2d774c87af2da3fe2bff191952b3b.jpeg

As I say, has been watertight or date, famous last words!!

Got the boot box in placeand tried the boot lid. As AdgeC says the lid sits proudat the outer edges but I can live with that. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg