Sign in to follow this  
stephenh

distributor is a tight fit!

stephenh

I'm having difficulty getting the distributor cap to fit. Do other people have this problem? The problem seems to be the bulge in the fibre glass panel where your left foot goes when driving the car and de-clutching.

It is an Aldon distributor with electromagnetic distribution. Is that the reason for my problem, or should it still fit? Unfortunately I don't have a standard distributor cap, off a spark distribution distributor to compare the height of it with.

Plays-Kool

I think the old mans is just a standard cap, but it's an extremely tight fit!

stephenh

Thanks Luke.

I'll take some measurements to see if the internal dimensions of a standard Lucas distributor cap are the same as the Aldon one. I suspect they will be, in which case hopefully I can get away with fitting a standard cap, but with high spec leads (because the electronic distributor will produce higher voltage) and I really want to use the Aldon electronic distributor if possible as it has been "mapped" for my camshaft, and I believe will give more accurate ignition timing as well as "fatter" sparks.

stephenh

Found an old distributor cap off a Midget. Guess what, the height is exactly the same as the Aldon one, to the nearest 1/10th. of a millimeter. The difference is that the Aldon one is a much more substantial affair.

So I've moved the engine back a whisker, and with much fiddling I've managed to get the Aldon one on. :t-up:  :t-up:

• Like 1

Simon Marks - North Oxfordshire AO

Ever since I fitted my engine, I've been suggesting to people that (as I have) fitting a Megajolt ignition system which does away with a distributor is the way to go for an Eleven.  I have none of the space issues that Stephen and others have described and the computer and Ford EDIS unit fit inside the scuttle area (passenger side in my case) leaving just the coil pack in the engine bay (I set mine into the pedal box top).  The unit reads from a crank position sensor looking at the bottom pulley (which has 36 teeth for it to read) and a vacuum take off.  The off side of my engine is, as a result, uncluttered so access to the remaining gubbins on that side is easy.

Still, its good to hear that you have solved the problem and have your distributor in there.  Just a thought - can you actually get the cap off for problem solving / maintenance without having to move the engine?

stephenh

Still, its good to hear that you have solved the problem and have your distributor in there.  Just a thought - can you actually get the cap off for problem solving / maintenance without having to move the engine?

Yes I can get the cap off. The engine is stopping where it is! It won't be moved back. It is "correct where I now have it.

M400too

Try the distributor cap with 90 degree leads that's what I did gives more room

stephenh

I've got 90 degree leads! 

cam1025

Thank you for the info. I am also having troubles with the distributor cap. Now I know exactly what to do.

------------------------------------

For Best Deals on Tyres and Rims, Please Visit Our Website at http://www.tyres.net/.

Edited by cam1025

stephenh

Cam, I'll try and take a decent photo of my distributor cap (in place) if it might help.

stephenh

OK, this is what my distributor installation looks like. for a clearer view of what the distributor looks like out of the car, see page 334 in the motorsport catalogue of Demon Tweeks, 2017 edition, which has the Aldon ignition stuff on it. The distributor is similar to item 4 on that page, but with side exit cap item 7, and in my case the high performance red rotor arm item 8.

IMGP5818.JPG