Brushes with fame

TAFKARM

I'm currently sat having a coffee next to, but not with, Rob Collard of touring car fame.

• Like 1

Also I once met Gazza in a bar, but it turned out to be someone that just looked a bit like him.

I bought Chris Harris and Harry Metcalf a glass of champagne at Goodwood actually but I don't really remember it as I was a little drunk.

Ive met and spoken to Sir Chris Hoy on a flight to Perth Aus. He is just as you see him on Tv ....a perfect gentleman and really nice bloke.

I come across a few celebrities throught my day job, some nasty, some nice. John Leslie was an odd character (but we all know that now). The late Mike Smith and Sarah Green were lovely (went to school with Mike and couldn't believe he remembered me). Joan Collins was exactly as you would expect and Helena Bonham Carter was stunning!

I did A-Level French and Maths with Jon Richardson - sat next to him due to our surnames. He was exactly the same back then!

Used to get in-field VIP spectator passes to a local ish big Pro Am Golf tournament through a mate; we accompanied a few through the years - they only allow up to half a dozen guests per group:-

Jasper Carrott, charming, funny and made us feel like old friends he'd invited personally.

Nigel Mansell, completely different to how he comes over on TV, really dry wit and fantastic company, till it's his turn, then the focus is awesome.

A household name, longstanding Coronation Street actor, not going to say his name, as he came across as a right tit.

Kevin Wheatley, nice guy, but couldn't get over how different his voice was in person, weird!

A few well known footballers through work, though as I know almost nothing about footballers, I didn't know till afterwards! (Didn't really know their names, though vaguely remembered having heard of them at the time).

Jenny Powell, met her whilst we working in Knutsford, friendly and down to earth, and just as gorgeous then, as I remember her being when I was a teenager. A fact I accidentally said out loud which made us both blush and giggle like school kids!

shared a table with Graham & Betty Hill in the tip top bar Monaco , tight as ducksassis , said how do to Kirk Douglas  

Oulton Park bar , pie and pint with Mike Hailwood what a great bloke , he paid the round

Sterling Moss in wheelchair at Aintree revival meeting   

• Like 1

Had to chip in again, as I have just recalled my favourite and most memorable "brush with fame".

I was meeting a potential client at their home, 1 Logan Place in Kensington. While I waited to be let in, I was reading some of the stuff that had been scribbled on the wall outside and noticed several references to "Freddie".

During the meeting, I asked if the property had any connection to Freddie Mercury and was told that yes, it was his house before he died. I was talking to Mary Austin and hadn't realised that she had been his long time friend and that he had left her the house in his will.

Although Freddie wasn't there, it was spine tingling just to be standing in the house where he had lived. What stories those walls could tell!

Nearly ran over Jimmy Savile. Should have, would have saved a lot of trouble.

Oh and nearly got knocked into next week when Les Kellet slapped me on the back at the local wrestling ring in Bolton. I was only 8.

• Like 1

Brush with fame, nearly ran over Prince Charles. Was making progress near to Highgrove when he stepped out into the road from a lane, stepped back pretty quick, he doesn't own the roads yet.

Only other of note was meeting Derek Bell at the service on the A34, Had a short chat, nice guy

I once had a good crack with Sue Johnston, really nice lady and Ian St John, I couldn't get over how small he was