Have you lost a Gopro / sport camera recently - suggestion

DavidR

When walking my dog along green lanes and BOATs (Byways Open to All Traffic) I often find bike lights that have fallen off their fixings, recently have started finding sport minicams, (not a Gopro yet although I did find one of those at a Toughmudder event). Wishing to return it to its owner I look to see what videos etc are on the SD card.

Just boring green lane stuff.

Men in blue are not interested and have closed most of our local stations to the public so not easy to hand it in.

So a suggestion, why not record a video / photo of your name and address or phone number and leave it on there when the new videos are downloaded then I could have returned it.

Just a thought given westy owners seem to attach Gopro etc to roll bars and things.

Have fun

David

Unfortunatley i believe most people now days wouldnt bother to return or hand it in let alone look through for a name and address.

I picked up a memory stick on the beach at Birling Gap a while ago. It had letters from a chap to various business contacts so I posted it back to him with a 'READ ME' file telling him where I found it and my email address. Not a bl**** peep of thanks.  :no: Small wonder stuff doesn't get handed in if that's how it's received. 

However, that is a good idea as long as the camera isn't set to re-record over old files.

Its a bit voyouristic looking into memory sticks or cameras... I bought a used 3310 Nokia off eBay to replace my washing machine damaged one. The Phone arrived and she had forgotten to remove the memory card. Some very revealing pictures!!!! Videos... I did email to saying there was a card and did she want itback. No reply reply......

I bought a used 3310 Nokia off eBay to replace my washing machine damaged one. The Phone arrived and she had forgotten to remove the memory card.

Ha, and this too although nothing not worth on the card.

In the days of having cameras I always had the first photo as a picture of my name and email address, but not postal address. Should do the same with my phone really as you don't need a pw/fingerprint to take the card out and read it.

Might not help,but costs nearly nothing and just might.

Daniel

Back to GoPro losses, the simply addition of a short wire safety lanyard would save it.

Its a bit voyouristic looking into memory sticks or cameras... I bought a used 3310 Nokia off eBay to replace my washing machine damaged one. The Phone arrived and she had forgotten to remove the memory card. Some very revealing pictures!!!! Videos... I did email to saying there was a card and did she want itback. No reply reply......

I'm normally not that geek/freak, but I did work a LOT hacking and unlocking  the late 90's and early 2000 nokia cellphones while i was in HighScool...

3310 was a black and white screen with no camera nor memory card slot... so, clearly you did not buy a 3310. Surely, it was a cellphone, but was not that one...

Guys - as a security bod - I would strongly suggest you do not insert any USB stick/memory card into either your home or work pc that you 'find'. Its a classic attack route to get bad stuff onto a machine to compromise the security. To give you a real life example, one of our data centre staff carparks has a USB stick thrown over the fence at least 2 or 3 times a year ...

• Like 1

Good point. Annoying as it is that my work laptop wont work with any "non work" approved device, it makes sense why they do it. 

Good point. Annoying as it is that my work laptop wont work with any "non work" approved device, it makes sense why they do it. 

interesting read re the impact USB drives can have

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuxnet 

Worth mentioning a lot of the old school vulnerabilities have been closed from the Internet, many vulnerabilities require insiders/legitimate users having access, USB gives that access if it hasn't been screwed down by desktop security policy. I've seen basic key logging code on USB, so captures all those great things like passwords and credit card details ever time you populate a form and as you are behind the firewall it will send that stuff out over port 80 

Most of my 'stuff' has my house number & postcode on it, either etched in or permanent marker applied.

R

Guys - as a security bod - I would strongly suggest you do not insert any USB stick/memory card into either your home or work pc that you 'find'. Its a classic attack route to get bad stuff onto a machine to compromise the security. To give you a real life example, one of our data centre staff carparks has a USB stick thrown over the fence at least 2 or 3 times a year ...

Its a fair point, and certainly the 'usb stick into a data centre carpark' game is a good one I am sure, although I think its less likely that a £250 GoPro in the middle of a green lane is a planned attack on your security.

Daniel

Going back to my old 35mm SLR days with film rolls, the first picture on the roll was always a card with my name and address and phone number, so if the film was lost or sent to the wrong person they would know who it belonged to. I've never considered the loss of one of my GoPro's - perhaps a prudent approach would to film a card with a contact number etc. Would need the finder to be honest   :down:

Going back to my old 35mm SLR days with film rolls, the first picture on the roll was always a card with my name and address and phone number, so if the film was lost or sent to the wrong person they would know who it belonged to. I've never considered the loss of one of my GoPro's - perhaps a prudent approach would to film a card with a contact number etc. Would need the finder to be honest   :down:

I left my Rollieflex SL35 on a restaurant table in Tokyo in 1977 and a waiter chased me along the street to return it to me and he wouldn't accept a tip for his trouble! I'd like to think my company would have replaced it as I was using it on business, but somehow I think I might have had a struggle. I never thought of a frame with address details. Good idea!

I am deliberately very vague with 'Home' as a destination on my portable satnav out of some kind of paranoia.

My Sat Nav Home address is set to an annoying neighbour on the next road, that I dislike! I figure if anyone's going to get burgled he's more than done enough to qualify the way he treat his neighbours!!