Sign in to follow this  
stephenh

Battery for the XI

stephenh

I am told that the correct battery for the XI is a type/size 015 battery.

What make do others use, and does it fit the battery box supplied with the kit? Numax keeps popping up from my brief google searches. Are they any good? I'd prefer a sealed battery but they are unlikely to be in the same dimensions or fixing type, so then I've got the problem of how to fix the battery into the car safely and to the satisfaction of the IVA inspector.

Simon Marks - North Oxfordshire AO

Hi, Stephen,

I complicated the battery installation for myself by wanting to make provision for a roll hoop to sit under the clamshell (its one of the Post IVA jobs that is now bubbling to the top of my list!).  This hoop, and the chassis brackets that were welded in for it during manufacture, meant that the standard lead/ acid battery would not be able to be fitted behind my seat as it would have been impossible to replace without removing the the roll hoop.  I was also planning to fit a plumbed-in fire extinguisher bottle behind the passenger seat so that ruled me out from using my lead/acid battery there as well! 

I, therefore, opted for a sealed Oddysey battery.  This has been fitted on its side behind the drivers seat.  I used sheet aluminium and my metal folder to make a shallow tray which is pop riveted to the floor, and stops it moving fore and aft.  A layer of Dynamat foam was applied to the upper face, the battery laid on this and then I folded a wide aluminium strap to go over the top of the battery (again with Dynamat between the battery and the strap) and this is bolted down with M6 bolts (penny washers below) through the floor on the inboard side and into rivnuts on the lower chassis rail on the outboard.  No issue at all at IVA and the strap and battery can be removed from the car without removing the roll hoop.  Without the roll hoop complication, a Varley type horizontal battery box could just simply be bolted through the floor (penny washers again to prevent pulling out).

Of course, I have now sited my fire extinguisher in the scuttle area so could have used my lead/acid battery, the standard tray and made up a retaining arrangement for it behind the passenger's seat after all - taking care not to get it in the way of the handbrake cables!

Simon