fuel line

tex

looking at replacing the rubber sections of fuel line on my megabusa - nothing obviously wrong with them as yet but theyve been on 12 years now and preventative maintenence is in play.

as far as i can see theres sections in the front from the bulkhead steel pipes to the filter and then upto the engine

then theres sections lower rear to the tank and fuel pump [external pump]

what size bore do westfield use? so i can order some up

and moving on from standard nitrile or rubber based hoses is there a better option now ie silicone or ptfe type hose - whats best for longevity? the usual rubbery stuff cracks and vents through the walls eventually.

thanks terry

Hello Terry,

Good idea to replace the hose. The blend for petrol has changed a lot over the last years and now includes a lot of ethanol, which sees to degrade rubber hose. The minimum I would say it must meet is SAE J30 R9 standard. There are other and higher standards for pure ethanol. R6 grade hose can become dangerously degraded quite quickly, especially with the car left unused over winter.

Most runs will be 8mm inside diameter. The input to an injection fuel pump may be 12mm and will need measuring to check.

Jen

Hi Terry,

The pipes are 12mm bore from the fuel tank to the pump, and 8mm for all others. For a "Build manual" set-up you will need 1 length of 12 mm(fuel tank to pump) and 7 lengths of 8 mm. Pressure side is fuel pump to steel pipe, steel pipe to filter, filter to T-piece, T-piece to fuel rail, T-piece to pressure regulator. Return side is pressure regulator to steel pipe and steel pipe to fuel tank.

James

• Like 1

Well that was a very clear and concise reply peeps! Thank you...

I got a few wiffs the other day which set my mind thinking.

The car isnt laid up over winter tho, it is used as much as possible, but still needs swapping out.

Thanks guys, might be an idea mr admin to put this is the frequently asked section, helpful tips.

Well that was a very clear and concise reply peeps! Thank you...

might be an idea mr admin to put this is the frequently asked section, helpful tips.

Agreed, have moved the thread to the FAQ.

Definitely worth checking. My tvr Tuscan has been parked up for a few years. Decided to get it serviced and checked over. Put some fuel in it and all of it went on the floor !! Was leaking from tank to pump and also after pump

All lines are being changed with marine grade stuff.