Dear Diary: My journey from Xflow to Zetec... Now definitely done!

Quinten

OMG, that belongs in a ship! You'll probably find one of your existing starters will fit with a more normal flywheel - why not sort the flywheel/ clutch first and then see what's what. 

• Like 1

Another thing to watch for when changing the flywheel is the crank position sensor. It's so long ago now that I forget the specifics, but there are two possible sensors, one long, one short. For obvious reasons, you need to match the right parts!  I do know I had to swap the one that came with my engine as I fitted an 1800 flywheel onto a 2l engine. Sadly, can't recall if I had to fit the longer or shorter one, sorry.

ETA.  I see you have sorted what looks like a good package of guaranteed-to-work-together parts at Retro Ford, but just for completeness, I used a Brise 891410AX on ours after having real problems with heatsoak into the starter that was on there. That definitely fits properly on the 1800 flywheel. Also, I tried to find the info on the other parts I used, but unusually for me, I don't seem to have kept the receipts for the clutch parts.

• Like 1

It should drive a lot keener without the boat anchor too. 

• Like 1

Cheers Ian, I've seen their stuff on Ebay too.  Retroford do it slightly cheaper, and are highly recommended.

• Like 1

I wasn't sure if the Retroford was a lightened flywheel, so really it was just for comparison.

Ian

• Like 1

Have just received my starter, and am wondering how it should be connected up?  The terminal/nut that connects to the copper part more specifically.  Battery to starter goes to the large one on the left, the starter wire to the small one at the top, but why is there another screw terminal?  Should just be left alone, right?

58e531cd4db37_2017-04-0517_10_35.thumb.jpg.dfeaf5bd8fe36f746db5c095b1745819.jpg

How to go 6 months back in time in a day...

58e92f49c1313_2017-04-0813_49_00.thumb.jpg.f2db20a75f71771c27a8a88953e0b0cd.jpg

Still awaiting a clutch delivery (damn those slow posting sellers!) but eventually got the flywheel off and the new one on.  Even my wife appreciated the difference between the 'boat anchor' and the retro-ford one.  Fingers crossed the weather next (long) weekend is just as nice as today, otherwise I'll be struggling for space inside the garage...

58e92fee876b2_2017-04-0815_35_19.thumb.jpg.1f66f5a76a1fbab27777595b72ee71ad.jpg

As a side note, I tried my old clutch cover on the new flywheel and it fitted perfectly!  Wasn't expecting that...

58e930317d604_2017-04-0815_45_03.thumb.jpg.606560a2e17ec3fec176caf1ce6e0cc6.jpg

Guess my old clutch is a Pinto one...

The new starter motor is also already a better fit than the 'unknown' one I got.  I'd almost say "money well spend" ;) 

• Like 3

Well done Quinten , good decision made. The small bearing in the centre of the crank, give it a clean out an a splodge of grease. Not too much though.

• Like 1

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 19:49, Quinten Uijldert - Northants AO said:

As a side note, I tried my old clutch cover on the new flywheel and it fitted perfectly!  Wasn't expecting that...

Guess my old clutch is a Pinto one...

The new starter motor is also already a better fit than the 'unknown' one I got.  I'd almost say "money well spend" ;) 

I have the same flywheel and I think they are drilled to take both a pinto clutch cover and a zetec clutch cover.

32 minutes ago, Ian Rabbetts said:

I have the same flywheel and I think they are drilled to take both a pinto clutch cover and a zetec clutch cover.

Ah, you reckon it is actually a Zetec cover?  Would make sense!

As off today the journey is over?

Just a shake down run to do!

• Like 2

Yes Paul, the journey has FINALLY come to an end today :yes:

Paul and I made short work of the re-installation and with a little tweaking had a lovely idle at 1K rpm.  The new starter is perfect and the new flywheel/clutch combo too.  Should have done it much earlier in the build.  Hey ho...

Just need to cut a hole in the bonnet for the filter and get it an MOT.  And then we're done :yellow-westy:

• Like 5