Dear Diary: My journey from Xflow to Zetec... Now definitely done!

Quinten

I'm using one of those ratchet hand crimping tools, much like the one in the picture

UNINSULA.JPG?m=1321012777

It has various jaws, but I'm using the one for the normal 6.3mm terminals or the smaller size, depending on how well the terminal itself fits into it.  The yellow cover is applied as per some instruction video I found on youtube, and the same goes for the actual crimp.  Like I said, from the moment I started to use the Superseals, I was never happy with how they secured into the housings, it may well be because I didn't spend ££'s on the Superseal crimp tool (if it is any different)

You can get a reasonably priced super seal/econo seal crimp tool from Pole Volt and Car builder solutions etc.

It isn't absolutely vital, but is a lot easier if you have a few of these connectors to do.

Different general purpose crumpets have slightly different profiles to the jaws, from manufacturer to manufacturer.

The problem with some, is that they can put a sort of "step" into the crimped connector, between the section that crimps round the bare copper, and the section that crimps round the cable's outer sleeve.

The other problem you can run into, is that if the dies aren't just right width wise, the connector can sort of "spread" a little as you crimp it, again interfearing with the fit in the shell.

You can, with a bit of care, correct some of these issues, crimp by crimp, using a pair of pliers etc.

27 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - WSCC AO Rep said:

Different general purpose crumpets have slightly different profiles to the jaws, from manufacturer to manufacturer.

I like getting my jaws stuck into Warburtons crumpets...

• Like 1

Damn speel chocker!

Mmm, crumpets!

• Like 1

58dc2f61993b5_2017-03-2922_43_19.thumb.jpg.a73d07cdd15e527575c88b57df3ac246.jpg

The wife is not pleased...  breakfast will have to be served in the living room ;) 

• Like 3

Hi quinten it might be too late but I bought the car builder solution crimper for the superseal. It made a massive difference over my existing crimper., it was almost pleasurable!  It made the job expensive but it means that for the price of return postage you can borrow mine. Let me know if you still need them.

• Like 1

And I guess this concludes my journey...  Of course plenty of new trips will follow ;) 

• Like 5

What's rattling / vibrating?

Looking good, but you will need to balance the throttle bodies , as they are to dangler, so borrow someones balancer or buy one from Burtons etc. That will make it run a lot better. Well done Quinten, nearly ready for the test runs.

• Like 1

Well done Q - its a real milestone when the engine starts, good work.

Have yourself a beer tonight to celebrate 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Quinten Uijldert - Northants AO said:

I dunno?  

Oh, OK.  Great to see it running :yes:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Quinten Uijldert - Northants AO said:

I dunno?  

It is probably the throttle body balance Quinten . It will need setting up before you drive it or it will run like a bag of spanners at lower speeds.

• Like 1

Balance does sound well off, it needs a few tweaks, like that, before doing anything else with it really, as it will mask everything else.

Great work though, and very well done for how far you've come already!

Although someone will lend you a balancer, even if it's by post(!), (you can borrow mine for sure,if nothing more local), I'd recommend buying one. They're not too dear, and can be handy to have for a once a year or so check - you can sometimes find the balance screw between bodies drifts a bit. (Another member passed on the tip of using a dab of nail polish as a thread lock recently, to me.

A great feeling though, that first fire-up after such a big job. Well done.