Dear Diary: My journey from Xflow to Zetec... Now definitely done!

Quinten

Time whips past before you know it, these days.

Well, as some may have noticed, a deal has been struck and in the (very) near future I will have a Zetec engine to "plumb" in. In the process I will be going from an Xflow with carbs to Jenvey ITBs with ECU so I also need to investigate the fuel side of things. Can't wait to start now!

Nice one!

Was the Xflow clockwork ignition as well? If so, are you in for a treat, although you said you've had a Zetec car before so I guess you know what to expect.  When converting ours to EFI, I added a new pipe for the return, connected to the filler neck (not ideal, but never had any issues). I kept the original Facet rattle-pump for the LP feed to the swirl pot located up front. For swirl etc I used a MkII Golf swirl/pump/filter carrier block. A nice self contained solution. Not so readily available these days though. Had to put a restrictor in the return line to reduce the amount of over-pumping the lift pump did. TBH, it could still do with having a smaller hole in it as the lift pump rattles away non-stop. Still, keeps the fuel cool I suppose.

Nice one!

Was the Xflow clockwork ignition as well? If so, are you in for a treat, although you said you've had a Zetec car before so I guess you know what to expect.  When converting ours to EFI, I added a new pipe for the return, connected to the filler neck (not ideal, but never had any issues). I kept the original Facet rattle-pump for the LP feed to the swirl pot located up front. For swirl etc I used a MkII Golf swirl/pump/filter carrier block. A nice self contained solution. Not so readily available these days though. Had to put a restrictor in the return line to reduce the amount of over-pumping the lift pump did. TBH, it could still do with having a smaller hole in it as the lift pump rattles away non-stop. Still, keeps the fuel cool I suppose.

Yes, the Xflow has nothing electronic (other than the self-cancelling indicators). I'll be sorry to see the manual choke going ;)

So for EFI I will need a return line to the fuel tank? I have been offered the parts for the fuel side as well, so will probably take up that offer, just to safe me inventing the wheel. What is the "MkII Golf swirl/pump/filter carrier block"? Is it a self-contained system to incorporate swirl tank external to the fuel tank?

You can do EFI without a return, just need the right sort of pump and pressure regulator. It's much more common these days and pretty much standard on most production stuff now. If you've been offered a complete kit of parts, may as well take them I guess - saves hassle.

The Golf thing is neat (if not pretty), plastic moulding of about 1l capacity that the pump sits inside to give you a swirl pot, bracket on the side for a high pressure filter, connections for fuel in from tank, fuel return to tank, HP fuel to rail, return from rail/regulator. Makes for a neat setup and no need to mess with the original tank in the Westy.  Plenty more ways to solve this particular problem but I've used this one on 3 different cars so far and they have all worked well.

Brise part number... 891410AX

£232 in 2007.

...and turns out I fitted the Zetec in 2005....

Cheers Chris (at least, I hope that's your name?) :yes:

I'm sure more questions will pop up, but it is good to know of 'trodden paths' of those with way more experience than me :d

I've already found one article on doing this in a narrow or pre-lit, so should I even be reading this :rolleyes:

Why not, I won't be tempted!

Good luck and I look forward to following your progress Quinten

• Like 1

Cheers Chris (at least, I hope that's your name?) :yes:

I'm sure more questions will pop up, but it is good to know of 'trodden paths' of those with way more experience than me :d

It is Chris. The Corse bit comes from when I had a CAE Corse S Stratos rep. Crap screen name really, but ISTR fatbloke had already gone :)

My conversion was a bit multi-stage really. First was fitting a spare Emerald ECU I had kicking about, as you do...that initially just did sparks on the Xflow. Next step was to put some GSXR ITBs on in place of the 40DCOEs. Last stage was to pull out the trusty Xflow and 2000E gearbox and replace them with a Type 9 and the Zetec, just swapped the ECU, coil pack & TBs onto the 'new' motor.

The starter woes then began and after a couple of 'seasons' messing about with assorted heat shielding I finally stumped up for the Brise and its worked perfectly ever since. Somewhat ironic in that the initial reason for putting the Emerald on was to make starting the Xflow a bit easier. It was the usual 11:1 CR, BVH, Kent 234 cam recipe and was a pig to start at times due to the high CR and static advance. Putting the 3D ignition on with about 5 degrees advance for cranking really helped.

This is a well proven swap so there will be loads of us who have done it. I did notice the change in balance of the car, but it wasn't too bad and the extra power, torque and refinement of the Zetec more than made up for it. Ours is purely road use and other than the odd occasion where I had to resist the urge to stick a supercharger on it, we've been absolutely delighted with the Zetec. Other than the Westfield exhaust and the ITB injection of course, it's box-stock and makes a gnats under 170bhp. Utterly reliable too.

Already having a Type 9 in there means that bit less bother for you to sort out too, which is nice.

Having realised it's now 11 years since putting it in there, it's probably about time it had another cam belt as I only recall changing it once since first putting it in. Oops. I clearly recall the last time - a fellow member who lived closely came to watch/assist as he had the same job to do on his and hadn't done one. Hope my 'instruction' wasn't too disappointing for him! ISTR not being particularly coherent on the day.....

The 11 years probably explains why it's looking a bit gruby and tired under the bonnet too. Maybe I'll find some time to give it some TLC soon. Never get to my next build project at this rate.....

Anyhoo, keep us posted on progress - pictures please :)

• Like 1

I've amended the topic title as I've got many more questions and I don't want to start threads each time...

So, question number two: As I will have two engines to juggle about, what is the best way to store the engine that is not in the car? I will have the Zetec on the engine crane, but when I need to take the Xflow out, I have to put the Zetec somewhere safe until I can store the Xflow, and vice versa. On the floor resting on the sump? I have limited amount of space in the garage once I start taking the car apart as the live axle, diff and gearbox will also come out (for fixing/refurbing) so the car can't be moved around.

On the sump is ok just ensure no random nuts n bolts are under to puncture or damage it.

I'd be putting some kind of soft cloth cover underneath, but I'll make sure the area is clear.

Engine stand. I've got one you can borrow if you like?

I may well take you up on that offer Barney... plus it would be good to catch up again :yes:

Remember remember, the first of October... as that's when I'll be taking the engine home :yes:

I'm trying to organise old carpet cut offs and cardboard to put in the boot (Mondeo Estate) and should be able to strap the engine down to the strap ringlets in the boot. Is there anything else I should be thinking off with regards of transport? Putting it in the car is probably the easy part as there are several burly blokes to help, but taking it out again it is only me and my 17 year old skinny as hell son. Is it possible to use an engine crane to slide/lift it out? What about if I can get it on a pallet, would that make things easier?

Can you tell I am getting excited and soiling my pants at the same time... :d