Seight Air Lock

Badger56

Hi All,

does anyone have any advice for removing or reducing an airlock in the cooling system on a Seight ? mine gets pretty hot  (about 100 - 110) then it's fine at about steady 80 odd, the top hose (from the thermostat) is almost empty as its the highest point and although I'm obviously getting some flow (the radiator gets hot) there is definately air in there.

Any advice would be welcome.

Cheers

Dave

PS the Thermostat is a 74 degree one.

I just bought one of these.

Would it help you.

Search Ebay for this.

New in stock - Caterham, Westfield, kit car, Bleed Tee / Coolant valve

I just bought one of these.

Would it help you.

Search Ebay for this.

New in stock - Caterham, Westfield, kit car, Bleed Tee / Coolant valve

Thanks, did it work?

I have not had it put in yet as we cleared the airlock.

I am going to put it in though if we have to do anything again on the coolant system.

Not sure how your expansion tank and hoses are installed but try jacking the back of the car up to raise the expansion tank higher than anything else in the sysytem.it forces more pressure into the system. Worked for me

Cheers jon

I have not had it put in yet as we cleared the airlock.

I am going to put it in though if we have to do anything again on the coolant system.

OK, could be worth a go thanks.

Not sure how your expansion tank and hoses are installed but try jacking the back of the car up to raise the expansion tank higher than anything else in the sysytem.it forces more pressure into the system. Worked for me

Cheers jon

Worth a try, thanks.

Or go to a garage and get the coolant system vacuum emptied and then refilled.

Ideally though you want either your header tank to be the highest point of the cooling system,can you remount it higher?

Or add in a bleed off pipe from your highest point in the cooling system which runs into the top of header tank.

Or go to a garage and get the coolant system vacuum emptied and then refilled.

Ideally though you want either your header tank to be the highest point of the cooling system,can you remount it higher?

Or add in a bleed off pipe from your highest point in the cooling system which runs into the top of header tank.

Thanks, Header tank is just about higher than the top hose but I know there's air in there, going to see if I can loosen the clip enough to let the air out then re-tighten, car stays cool enough mostly its just annoying to know there's air in there :-) 

Here's a few other things to try/help.

1. jiggle pin, or 3-4mm hole in the thermostat, to stop an airlock forming when filling with coolant.

2. change thermostat housing for a straight out version, this makes the top hose lower and less prone to air locks.

3. fill  coolant slowly to allow the water to flow, if it has a heater, these all take time to get the air out.

hope this helps.

scott

Here's a few other things to try/help.

1. jiggle pin, or 3-4mm hole in the thermostat, to stop an airlock forming when filling with coolant.

2. change thermostat housing for a straight out version, this makes the top hose lower and less prone to air locks.

3. fill  coolant slowly to allow the water to flow, if it has a heater, these all take time to get the air out.

hope this helps.

scott

Yes thanks Scott, I think its slowly working its way out as I can top up the fluid by about half a mug full after each run, there are no leaks so it must be going somewhere :-) 

Dave