Sign in to follow this  
stephenh

Ride Height

stephenh

I suspect the real answer to my question (about why do people recommend 13" rims) is that the MG Mk III used 13" rims, so someone wanting to use the original wheels of a donor car would be using 13" rims. But in that case, why don't the factory configure the rear of the chassis, and the layout of the rear suspension, to suit 13" rim wheels? The trailing links are nowhere near parallel with the ground when the chassis is set up as per the build manual. Now you could in theory get them parallel with the ground if you could raise the chassis at the rear enough, but you can't because (a) the rear dampers aren't long enough, they are already almost at full extention and (b) the rear axle would be hard up against the aluminium panel which acts as a floor to the back of the chassis. There is a small hole in the panel, under the diff casing, but it would need to be much larger to allow the axle to "drop" into the hole in the floor when the car rises on full rebound.

These are things which I will sort out on my car in the fullness of time, but why are the factory not doing it in the first place? It would be so simple to do, the engineering at manufacturing stage would be so simple, cut the hole in the ali panel larger, specify slightly longer dampers, and slightly change where the holes for the trailing links to attach to the brackets on the chassis are drilled.

My point about the trailing links is that if they are not parallel with (level) ground in static state, then when the car rolls under hard cornering you will get rear wheel steer. This may well go some way to explain why when you look at video clips of Westfield XIs being driven hard on track, they tend to display snap roll oversteer half way round the corner. Now someone with the talent of Tiff Needell finds this entertaining, but it isn't something I'm looking forward to when doing trackdays in my car. 

MK11

The handling of the XI is why I miss mine so much.  Fitted with 13" wire wheels and Avon CR322 tyres the car was fantastic.  The front end would go exactly where I wanted it to unless I was really stupid and the rear end could be steered on the throttle very easily and precisely.  I miss that car so very much!

As for ride height and ground clearance I think I measured my ground to sump clearance at 52mm!  Speed cushions were a nightmare.  I tried to raise the suspension slightly but the standard dampers from Westfield were too short, even running low there was almost no suspension travel downwards without the piston hitting the end of the damper.  It made the car crash about over the potholes but was no trouble on track.