Seight Water pump "squeal"

Badger56

Hi all,

Had some rolling road work done today and the car popped a hose due to the high revs, this hasn't caused any problem except that something now squeals intermittently. 

My thought is water pump and the only thing to do is change it, however I thought it may be the alternator as it probably got wet during the hose incident.

Questions are, how do I find the source of the squeal as it only does it when driving i.e. I can't make it do it on command and if it is the water pump how do I identify which one I have?

The car was factory built in 2004 but I'm told was re-built in 2012 with a TVR 4.0 litre cross bolted block. 

Thanks all, in the meantime I'm going to WD40 the alternator to see if that does anything.

Cheers

Dave

Try loosening or tightening the alternqtor drive belt of a tad or dusting with talcum powder lighty as it sounds like the belt is slipping and squealing under load. A slight squire of wd40 on any bearings won't hurt it ether

Try loosening or tightening the alternqtor drive belt of a tad or dusting with talcum powder lighty as it sounds like the belt is slipping and squealing under load. A slight squire of wd40 on any bearings won't hurt it ether

Thanks "bigals", sounds a bit worse than belt slip but I'd love it to be that simple so fingers crossed, the front has to come off anyway because I've just found that the top hose had slipped down and was fouling on the belt, hence the leak, it's near the end so hopefully I can just move it up the pipe a little. It's also obvious that the leak will have soaked the alternator so again fingers crossed that it's that simple.

Thanks for the reply.

Dave

Probably the belt got contaminated with coolant. I would either take the belt off and wash in soapy water and clean the pulleys and put back on, or clean the pulleys and a new belt. WD40 is horrible stuff. Just use it for door hinges in the house. 

Probably the belt got contaminated with coolant. I would either take the belt off and wash in soapy water and clean the pulleys and put back on, or clean the pulleys and a new belt. WD40 is horrible stuff. Just use it for door hinges in the house. 

I tend to agree "Thustyjust" and I hope it is just a slipping belt, I'll know more once I've had it to bits, I hate taking the front off always a 2 hour job at least!

I had an intermittent squeal at low revs recently. It turned out the alternator tensioning bolt had slipped by 1mm on the slider and that was enough to give some belt slippage. Sounded awful but very easily sorted without taking the nose off.

Luke.

I had an intermittent squeal at low revs recently. It turned out the alternator tensioning bolt had slipped by 1mm on the slider and that was enough to give some belt slippage. Sounded awful but very easily sorted without taking the nose off.

Luke.

Thanks Luke (again) I think it may be coolant getting into the workings, I'm going to get the nose off so that I can check everything, hoping its just the belt slipping though, it does sound ***dy awful! 

talcum powder will sort it

The final "squeal report" so it was belt contamination from the coolant which had formed a sort of sludge under the belt causing it to slip. Cleaned the belt with warm soapy water and the three wheels with degreaser. Fixed the leak, repositioned the hose so it won't catch on the belt again, and bob's ya etc etc.

Chuffed it wasn't the water pump or anything more serious.

Cheers

Dave