Steve's sport 250 build

Steve (sdh2903)

Found them in a bag labelled tank frame bolts, if I remember correctly. Also, if you are using Pro Tec shocks, you will need 4 1/2 inch bolts to fit them, not 4 inch supplied, as the shocks bushes are wider than the standard Westfield shocks.

You had a bag that was labelled!! How clever! I had parts in 3 bags for fitting 2 pedals. Seriously do the parts guys take pleasure in messing with people?

The 4 bolts for the tank frame were indeed in a separate bag but not labelled and they are the longest 7/16 bolts in my possession.

Yes they are protechs. At what positions are the longer bolts required? Is it just the lower rear ones?

Yes, the ones to the  upright fitting where you bolt the shock to it. When I spoke to the factory and advised I need some longer bolts, even though I have bought the complete car, the answer was ' yep, you need the longer bolts for those shocks' , which were sent, but as usual nothing in the book, nothing supplied knowing what I was building, so some people make get unstuck with major bolts being too short.They could have just supplied the longer bolts as a generic that all builders can use.

• Like 1

Small update as I've been at work however during the quiet spells I managed to save the wishbone and rose joint threads. Handy working in an industry that still works in UNF sometimes :).

Also got the driveshafts built up and made some new fuel tank straps. I didn't feel comfortable using the supplied ones as they are incredibly thin and no doubt would crack at the folds over time. So made some up out of some thicker stainless. No pics for a change, I'm slacking......

Re the Protech shocks, if I remember correctly the factory told me to omit the washers as there was no room to get them in between the shock and the bracket. Again, nothing in the manual.

• Like 1

Thanks Chris. Full on grandad spec this one. Heater, screen and doors, must be getting old :).

I had wondered if it might be an idea to drill some anyway.

Few jobs completed. Diff filled with oil and new breather fitted. Just need some tubing to extend it a little. Driveshafts installed and rear uprights built up.

20160831_150042.jpg

I've fitted the handbrake and had a quick look at the cables but need the rear calipers before I can suss about the routing.

A big thanks and reccomendation for Bailey morris should anyone be looking for a propshaft. They have gone above and beyond and built me a propshaft in double quick time after sending me a gearbox sleeve as they weren't 100% on the correct fitment.

Maybe Bailey morris could have a chat with a certain kit manufacturer beginning with a W and a certain brake manufacturer beginning with H. I was promised my kit shortages in three weeks. That was 4 weeks ago. They are now telling me they will be ready in 3 weeks. Great. I just hope they don't try and fob me off as much as other people because I don't have the patience.

And my brakes were supposed to be with me a week ago but quell surprise. Another week at least. I knew I should have bought wilwoods from rally design.

Whilst the amateurs get their act together I really need to take the brake master apart to see what's what and then I am going to concentrate on getting the engine in as I need to free up the space and get the engine stand and crane back to my mate.

Do you have a close up picture of your lower rear wishbone set-up?

From the picture above it looks like you may have them on the wrong side. Usually the metalastic bush is toward the front of the car and the rod-end towards the rear.

• Like 1

And this is why we always say "do a build thread".

Similar helpful advice and mistakes spotted saved my bacon during my build. :)

• Like 2

Indeed.

This is why I favor the build thread in Tech Talk over Blogs. The Blogs, great as they are, just don't get the same traffic, so the chances of something being spotted while it's still really easy to fix are that much slimmer.

• Like 2

Thanks all for spotting my dangler up with the rear bones, I owe a few beers when I get this thing to one of the gatherings

Any way after swapping the wishbones after being back to front and on the wrong sides of the car everything fitted together that little bit easier, fancy that

20160903_170353.jpg

Also got the front corners built up, missing some track rod ends, not sure if these should have been supplied as part of the steering rack kit or not? I would have thought so seeing as though the rack extenders were although they aren't on the BOM. Hopefully I've fitted the right bits in the right places this time. My replacement hubs should be here early this week and brakes midweek to get the corners complete. Although I'm not holding my breath where hispec are concerned.

20160903_170407.jpg