How much do you use yours?

Ben30R

Hard desission. I had a Reliant scimitar for something like 14 years. Day one. it would have made a nice chicken shed except they would have drowned. Over the time I rebuilt everything , did the body work, converted it to diesel and it ended up with a 170 Bhp BMW 2.5 td engine. I used it more than the everyday car for years. It was quick, fun and a raw driving experience.... Family arrived. I bought a campervan which needs to be in the garage or it will dissolve...and ate up my spare time. In the last 2 years I averaged 200 miles. It failed it's mot and it needed more time welding than I'd spent driving it over 2 years... It hert but I sold it. 2 years later I really needed something fun again..... Westfield. If you sell it when life changes you can buy a later one... Maybe something far more exciting .

I'm pretty much got the ideal car spent a fortune on it the last few years. Suppose I'm very lucky that I don't need the money as such but the wife see it differential

Here is my man-maths:

Depreciation - nil

Tax - £250

Insurance - £150

MOT and servicing £100

Total cost to not use is £500 or £10 per week or less than 3 pints. No brainer - keep it! 

• Like 7

Mine only gets taxed for 7 months a year and my insurance is £95  Closer to £300 a year all up I reckon.  Couple of decent nights out!

They're cheap cars to have sat in the garage too.

I enjoy the spanner time which can't be said for the other cars in the fleet. I enjoy the upgrades and seeing the effect they have. Whilst the westfield doesn't get driven an awful lot it can still keep me entertained. And occupied at work planning the next upgrades...

• Like 1

Mine has been usage wise bit of disaster since ownership last August , I got as much as I could in before the summer finished but in hindsight garaged it way too early waiting for "perfect" conditions to drive it . Had a big winter job done on the engine which took forever to get back which ended up being May , once back again had limited use due to car sharing for work with my heavy pregnant niece but manage to get some sprints and trackdays in at the weekends then the head gasket blew start of July at castle combe

Sooooooo kinda bit peeved really for something that owes me 15k sitting broken in the garage ha,ha

Part of my old Saturday routine was to do the weekly shop for my mum, every Saturday morning. If it was dry, great top down, pick up shopping, have a blast over the cat and fiddle, if it was wet, leave the top up go shopping, blat over C&F!

Currently sat in my sisters lounge in Harrogate, took six hours to drive up here yesterday, as I took the Westfield up through the lakes then back across over the Buttertubs Pass etc. Going to go and have a look at the Ripon Classic car thing in a bit, then back home in the rain :(

You can use them if you want to!

• Like 3

Back home again now, the quick route, mainly motorway from Leeds. Rained a little on the motorway, but it was ok, as traffic was flowing well, so most of the rain just went over the top of the cockpit.

Got heavier, both the traffic and rain at Rochdale, so as roadworks looked like it might cause some slow queueing, stopped at the services and put the hood up, did the last hour home like that, in the drizzle for a bit before it dried.

It was fine. I'm reasonably dry, no wet patches, thanks to ear plugs, my ears aren't ringing! And it was a great weekend, made far greater by having a Westfield as part of it. Oh and saw three Westfields at the Rippon Classics show, but couldn't see the owners.

• Like 1

Oh and saw three Westfields at the Rippon Classics show, but couldn't see the owners.

If one was red with black bonnet and a cage, that would be Chris S from our area, with his dad also in a westy.

Yeah, there was a red one with black bonnet. :d

That would have been me dave. If I wasn't at the car I was probably diving out the rain (again) mine was the caged one with black bonnet the other red one was my dad's and the green one was a father and son who built it in 1990 I think again with anyone who has a Westfield they were very friendly.

Was a nice bit of banter between us and the catering van owners who were walking past aswell

• Like 1

That would have been me dave. If I wasn't at the car I was probably diving out the rain (again) mine was the caged one with black bonnet the other red one was my dad's and the green one was a father and son who built it in 1990 I think again with anyone who has a Westfield they were very friendly.

Was a nice bit of banter between us and the catering van owners who were walking past aswell

Yeah, had just been raining.

In Ford geek mode, I've never seen four or five Capri 280 run-out models in one place before, I still have a soft spot for those!

Here is my man-maths:

Depreciation - nil

Tax - £250

Insurance - £150

MOT and servicing £100

Total cost to not use is £500 or £10 per week or less than 3 pints. No brainer - keep it! 

Makes complete sense to me.      Ask yourself, or the wife, how much depreciation your normal daily tin top costs.