Seight Radiator Mounting

Badger56

Hi All,

Did a bit of work on the seight the other night which necessitated removing the nose cone, I found that the radiator is mounted to the cone and not the chassis, i.e take the cone off and the radiator comes with it. 

I doubt this is the best solution (although it appears to work fine) due to the weight etc and I think it was done when a past owner fitted a higher spec rad.

I'll probably look at mounting it "properly" over the winter but wondered if anyone has any thoughts or pointers?   Are there brackets etc available? or is it a fabrication job?

I have no detail about the rad other than "high capacity alloy" which isn't a lot to go on I know.

Comments and particularly photo's would be much appreciated.

Cheers

• Like 1

It's the normal way of mounting the rad in the ducted nose.

Though modifying, as you say, for convenience, has always been popular. No off the shelf brackets though, as far as I'm aware.

There are pictures and things in the archives on the Boardroom, hen I get a chance, I'll have a dig and see what I can find.

It's the normal way of mounting the rad in the ducted nose.

Though modifying, as you say, for convenience, has always been popular. No off the shelf brackets though, as far as I'm aware.

There are pictures and things in the archives on the Boardroom, hen I get a chance, I'll have a dig and see what I can find.

Thanks Dave, I had some rolling road work done a little while ago and the mechanic said he'd never seen one like it, :-) if its supposed to be that way it takes the "urgency" away but I may well look at it over the winter for "convenience" as you say. Pictures would be great if you have any.

Cheers

Dave

Assuming we're not talking at cross purposes!

The V8 Ducted nose is designed to trap the radiator between the front mounted duct that joins the opening in the front of the nose, and a rear mounted "exhaust" duct, that guides the air out the back of the radiator and up out of the slot in the top of the nose cone, near the back edge.

The ductwork does screw to the nose cone, but the rad is not bolted to the ductwork, if you see what I mean.

What a few have done, is fabricate brackets that join to the front of the chassis, and extend forward to mount to the radiator. At the same time, the rear section of duct is kept "mounted" to the rad - I assume it's attached to the brackets somehow. While the front half of the duct is permanently mounted in the nose.

Thanks all, I'm thinking of making this a winter project as not particularly urgent, however one of the problems I've recently found is that after having the car tuned, which necessitated the nose cone being pulled forward to access the TDC mark, a hose developed a leak due to being disturbed. It's now a pig to get at to tighten / seal so I'm going to try a tin of "rad weld" before spending an afternoon swearing at it. As it's just a disturbed seal and not an actual hole or split I'm hopeful this will work.

Cheers

Dave

If I was you I would spend a couple of hours getting your clip sorted before using Radweld. I remember one of my bottom hoses was a pita for getting tight after fitting silicon hoses, I used 2 clips in that location which stopped the leak ☺

If I was you I would spend a couple of hours getting your clip sorted before using Radweld. I remember one of my bottom hoses was a pita for getting tight after fitting silicon hoses, I used 2 clips in that location which stopped the leak ☺

Thanks, I'll give it a go, I do have silicon hoses & have had to use a gasket sealer before to get a good seal, I'll use the rad weld as a back up plan.  

Just for closure, spent Sunday afternoon removing the nose cone and re-sealing the hoses which are now all nicely water tight, although the standard mounting (or lack of mountings) sounds a bit "odd" it works fine and I would think modifications are only really necessary if you're going to be removing your nose cone on a regular basis.

Thanks for all the replies again, massive help as always.

Dave