Sign in to follow this  
stephenh

Speedometer Drive

stephenh

So I've paid for the type 9 5 speed gearbox upgrade with my kit, and I've been provided with a new speedometer drive cable as part of the upgraded kit. The only problem is that it has a standard type 9 speedo drive connection on the (gearbox) end of the cable. I need to buy a 90 degree adaptor as the tunnel is too narrow to fit the cable without bending it too much, and the only rightangle drive adaptors I can find so far use a different cable end! Has anyone else had this issue, and how have you solved it?

The factory have suggested cutting a hole in the side of the tunnel, and running the cable through it (ie without using an adaptor) and running the cable across the floor under the carpet, up the side of the front of the tunnel, and cut another hole in the 2 panels above the driver's knees, to run the cable through and thence to the  back of the speedometer. If I do that, every time I climb in and out of the car, I'm liable to plant my size 10s, with 16 stone on them, on top of the cable. Needless to say, this is not my favoured engineering solution!

Does anyone know where I might get an adaptor which the standard cable end will fit to? Otherwise, it looks like I'm going to have to scrap a brand new cable which I've paid the factory for, or send it to Speedy Cables for them to remove the gearbox end fittings and replace with a screw fitting.

stephenh

Hi Garyt, yes I know they do that, but the speedo cable which Westfield supply won't fit that angle drive! And BurtonPower haven't any stock and don't know when they will have. And if they did have stock they would also have to sell me a new cable, costing (I don't know, but it would be on top of the cost of the angle drive.

If I get one from Speedy Cables they will modify my existing, new, cable as supplied by Westfield, so I suspect that is the route I'll go.

But why don't Westfield offer the option of a cable with a screw thread end, to fit one of these right angle drives? Particularly as Westfield's build manual says that the right angle drive is needed with the type 9 gearbox, AND that the right angle drive is available from Westfield! It really is so frustrating. Why issue a build manual which contains wrong information? In fact, I've got 2 copies of the build manual. Both say the same. :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

Gary Taylor - Scotland AO

Hi I simpathise with you and all the problems your facing unfortunately it appears to be across the board of build manuals that are not , missing or wrong parts

Anyway I hope you get sorted out and all the best

stephenh

I've bitten the bullet and posted my cable off to Speedy Cables for them to modify, and a letter asking them to supply me with a right angle drive to suit. They say it will be about 2 weeks. We'll see! :d  :d

M400too

i have gone through the option of routing through drivers foot well, possibly not to everyones taste but  it has been done neatly and with carpets in is not noticable.

| agree with build manuals etc - as i asked aboutthe door cards- and it appears this  is  no longer supplied with kit so looking at options how to tidy them up - see whats about  at classic  as want to match interior.

Mark

stephenh

I've heard nothing from Speedy Cables since I posted off my cable last month, so not quite as speedy after all! I must 'phone them tomorrow.

stephenh

I forgot to update this, after my 'phone call to Speedy Cables. They apologized for the delay, and promised to expedite. 

True to their word, a few days later someone rang to say it was ready and took payment over the 'phone, and the next day or two it arrived by post. The 90 degree angle drive is now fitted on the gearbox.