Failed MOT and dangerous

JulianE

So I spoke to the customer in reception and explained I had unfortunately failed his Pajero and it was not in a condition that he should drive it as it was dangerous . 

The customer replied it was fine when he drove it in and didn't notice any noises and wasn't doing anything unusual , I would add that the outside of the wheel was also covered in rust from metal filings !!

Picture taken from inside nearside rear wheel whilst on MOT ramp , the brake pad as you can see has worn that thin it has fell out and being dragged forward by braking action !

Tillet%20016_zpsueat7epm.jpg

I've seen a Fiat Uno shed a brake pad backplate like a piece of shrapnel because it wore down like that. Normally there's a noise like a jet airliner landing overhead when the steel hits the disc. The Pajero man must be Mutt ' n Jeff!

How did it stop?? must be 2 ton ?!!

My old man had one, its got the stopping power of a ship at the best of times!

• Like 1

It was loud to say the least , I've loads more like that if anyone is interested . This just shows a yearly MOT is a must .

To be honest it shows that the driver is not somebody that I would willingly accept a lift from..

I'd like to see more Julian...!

• Like 1

Seems appropriate then that the word Pajero is Spanish slang for "w**k**".

WE recently had an old guy in who said his car was very bumpy, he couldn't explain it any other way....

On checking the car, the two nearside tyres had obviously punctured and had disintegrated that much that only the four tyre beads were still on the wheels, the wheels were obviously damaged due to being run on the road..... two new wheels and tyres and a slight wing repair was needed  :laugh:

In France the MOT or Controle Technique is every two years, scary what you see on the roads and even more scary what they pass anyway.

Many years ago Mintex had a test ground at Sherbourne in Elmet. There they had a black museum of items that had been pulled out of cars after accidents or on MOT tests. These went back years and two that stood out were a set of brake shoes that had been relined with a leather belt and a set of brake pads from a Jag, which were beautifully carved from Mahogany.

As an MOT tester I saw so many things wrong, cars dripping with underseal, hiding cardboard chassis members was a regular thing. Greasable ball joints filled with putty, so many but we had no easy access cameras then otherwise this thread could have run and run

Concrete filled chassis rails were a common find along with cardboard under the black bitumen underseal. Or greased brake lines to hide the corrosion.

I once tested a car, an RS2000, passed with flying colours. Fast forward 6 weeks and got called by police and the DOT to attend a garage in Bristol. Once there I was greeted by an RS2000 lookalike, with the number of the car I had tested.

The scumbag had changed plates and the vin plate, presented an immaculate car for test and then switched afterwards. Luckily I had already been told by a wise tester to use something to leave marks when testing. I used tyre crayon to initial the car underneath discreetly, which was of course missing.

The person who had sold the car had, yes you guessed it, an immaculate RS2000 with my initials under it. They did him as a result and the other car was scrapped, it would have been worth a lot now.