Pipercross foam air filter PX500 series - Bonnet/Hood scoop?

Northpole

Northpole

I am using Pipercross air filter on my Hayabusa engine in my car, the filter sticks a bit out of the bonnet.

At speed over 100 mph, I am not getting as much power as I should, so I have to make a scoop.

Hopefully it will make some kind of a Ram effect, and I know the Hayabusa engine loves a lot of air at high revs.

BUT will the air pressure press the foam filter in to the engine? The scoop would be 3-4 inches over the foam filter.

Does anyone have knowledge or experience with this?

The scoop I am planning to make looks like this:

144536928-ferrari-250-testarossa-pebble-

Appreciate your thoughts on this topic!

Chris King

My pipercross filter has a metal mesh curved panel to stop the filter collapsing. It's a px600 though.

Not sure you'd get any ram air effect without an airbox to pressurise?

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

One of the 1959 Ferrari 250 TR59/60 Fantuzzi Spyder. As shown in some of the pics here.

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/photo/ferrari-250-tr59-60-fantuzzi-spyder-high-res-stock-photography/546997385

It's a variant of the original(?) race cars that bore the Testa Rossa name, well before the eighties fat boy poster car. IIRC, they were siuperceded by the 250 GTO, in fact, I think the GTO might have got either the same, or a minor variant on the same engine as these.

Not seen a Test Rossa value for years, but it was many, many million when I did!

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Oh and agreed, absolutely stunning, much prefer it to the more commonly seen TR shape with the distinctive side pontoons enclosing the wheels/front head lamps.

My pipercross filter has a metal mesh curved panel to stop the filter collapsing. It's a px600 though.

Agree with this, needs an air box rather than a scoop - a la Adam R's cabbage cannon ( now Mauricis). Scoop feeds air generally, good for cooling. Air box provides a more specific feed.

Northpole

Yes this Ferrari is VERY nice. But it is not mine ;(

I have a Triumph Spitfire w/Hayabusa.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bb-kristinsson/26513543742/in/album-72157666687907070/

- First I modified the Hayabusa std airbox (made it a bit lower, as many have done) w/K/N and feeded a tube in to the front grill.

- Then I did this change, using the PX500. (Thought I would get more power, and great noice ;), made a hole in the bonnet and the air filter sticking a little bit out.

Maybe the airbox is better? Maybe the PX500 is better? But I am sure that after 100 mph the Pipercross is not feeding enough air to the engine. Which is why I was going for the Scoop...

If any of you have knowledge of what is better PLS FEEL FREE to give me some good advice !

THANKS

Chris King

Hayabusa spitfire nice!

Really can't advise if pipercross is ok with a scoop but past bike experience always points to them running better with an air box.

By the way I love your home city Reykjavik, will be back again, so chilled and Iceland in amazing!

• Like 1
Northpole

Some claim that the std Hayabusa Airbox with K/N is better than the Pipercross air foam filter? Gives more Ram effect on high speeds.

- Anyone wants to comment on this?

Northpole

Would you prefer the Pipercross to the std Hayabusa airbox?

Chris King

Not running a bike engine in my car so can't compare I'm afraid. Ridden bikes for years though and never really worked without an airbox. But that is also due to bikes having limited space for long trumpets etc.