FW Special Build Thread by Complete Novices

SpikeB

The diff may be central & it's the tunel that may not be central as the drivers & passanger compartments are different sizes.

Thanks Sycho - I never knew that :) Something else I've learnt - and that's the best part about building this car, we are both learning things we wouldnt have had a clue about before.

The bracket is definitely upside down. Also when you look in the tunnel the diff does sit closer to the drivers side. As Sycho says, the drivers compartment is wider than passengers.

Have a look here http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/116627-ste-hs-mega-s2000-build-thread/page-11#entry1268550

I fitted the bottom bracket in the car, then lowered the diff onto it (without the top brackets attached) and loosely bolted up. I then fitted the top brackets. One of the rear top bushes was a real fight to get the bolt through. Needed to lever it into position with a screw driver.

Keep all of the bolts really loose so that you can maneuver the diff a bit to line things up. 

Once all of the bolts were loosely in I then bolted it all up tight.

Finally the bolts into the diff all need some thread lock on them, so I removed them one by one, applied the thread lock and then torqued up.

The torque settings provided by Mark Walker are:

"Upper allen bolts to diff casing x 4 - 40 ft/lbs with locktight applied to threads

Lower mounting bolts to diff casing x 2 45 ft/lbs with locktight applied

7/16" mounting bolts and nyloc nuts, upper frame rear to chassis and lower frame to chassis x 4 30 ft/lbs

M12 upper forward clevis mount x 2 35 ft/lbs"

Thanks SteH, this is really helpful. I will give it a try this weekend.

When I look down the tunnel the diff does sit closer to the drivers side!

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been quite good recently, mainly thanks to the advice we received on fitting the Diff - Thanks Guys!. I can now say, happily, that the diff has been fitted. Not only that but we managed to fit the wishbones, the fuel tank frame, 2 drive shafts and an-upright on Sunday afternoon. We were really pleased with our progress and now feel like we are starting to get somewhere!

IMG_1984_zpsw4w08urj.jpg

We have a few questions along the lines of have we done this right??

Diff Conversion Plate:

To start with, we couldn't figure out how to attach the drive shafts to the LSD that we had installed. I then found these conversion plates on the shelf and everything started to fall into place.

IMG_0033_zpsx4aobumu.jpg

The problem is that there isn't any instructions for these things so we went with what we thought was right and stuck them into the diff. We couldn't see any obvious way of securing them to the diff but figured when the wishbone, drive shafts and uprights are fitted they wouldn't be going anywhere. Have we done this right? Should we have fixed them somehow?

IMG_0035_zpsce5gcpd1.jpg

LSD Diff Oil

We couldn't find any oil labelled LSD Diff oil but we did manage to find something called "Automatic Transmission Fluid":

IMG_0032_zpssgtsylxq.jpg

Is this what we should be putting in the LSD or should I put a call into Westfield to say something is missing?

And, if it is the right stuff, where should we put it on an LSD? Again - no instructions on the LSD from Westfield and the manual refers to a standard diff.

Threads showing on bolts

This is the nut and bolt for the bottom diff support bracket:

IMG_1980_zpsatcgtkug.jpg

I've used the bolts supplied by Westfield but I am concerned that there isn't enough threads showing when the nut is torqued to pass the IVA? Should I be worried?

As always guys, any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated!

Lastly, has anyone else noticed that building a Kit car turns your garage into a Twilight Zone? We completely lose track of time whenever we are working on the car and we love it!! We do get carried away sometimes, I think the phrase "we'll have the engine fitted in a couple of weeks" was muttered at some point on Sunday.

Hopefully another update coming on Sunday as we have a whole weekend free for the car!

Cheers

No advice unfortunately, other than to say PLEASE maintain this level of enthusiasm, I find myself smiling with you when I read your updates!

The flanges that go in the diff have a semi circular clip that is a Mazda part ( in its bag) somewhere in the bits. That then goes into the groove on the spline and then it just clicks into place. As for oil, I believe I had semi- syn oil supplied by Westfield for the diff not ATF. If you are using a Type 9 box then that uses pink ATF, IIRC. 

• Like 1

The flanges that go in the diff have a semi circular clip that is a Mazda part ( in its bag) somewhere in the bits. That then goes into the groove on the spline and then it just clicks into place. As for oil, I believe I had semi- syn oil supplied by Westfield for the diff not ATF. If you are using a Type 9 box then that uses pink ATF, IIRC.

afaik Type 9 doesn't use The fluid pictured. Can't recall off the top of my head but it's 1.9 litres and 75w/90 semi synthetic- can dig out info BGH supplied if required although BGH were looking at fully synthetic oil when I spoke to them earlier this year.
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the help with the diff. I've found the bits I need and will be completing the diff and drive shaft stuff today!

I'm then hoping to move onto the fuel system. The problem is that it isn't clear where the fuel pump goes when you have a long range fuel tank. It talks about a new position and shows a picture but I can't tell what the picture is showing. It is tool close.

Do any of you have any pictures of where to out the fuel pump on the fw with a long range tank? Failing that can anyone give me a better description of where to put it?

Thanks.

Thanks for the help above Andy!

So this weekend we finished off the diff, driveshafts, shocks and uprights! At one point I got a bit over excited and put a wheel on - just to see what it looked like!!

IMG_1989_zpsotny0weq.jpg

Diff Oil - we followed the instructions and poured until it over-flowed but it only took 1 litre of oil and Westfield gave us 2 litres. Does this sound right?

I have another question about the break discs. They wobble around the hub quite a bit. The rear uprights came assembled (they are the upgraded brakes), it looks as though they will be fixed more solidly when the wheel is attached. Karrena and I are a bit concerned that we have missed something in terms of fixing them solidly before the wheel.

93a58769-271d-4c35-a542-a6b32e086375_zps

It's the fuel system next weekend!!