FW Special Build Thread by Complete Novices

SpikeB

I'm writing the first entry of our build thread from the passenger seat of a Luton van taking to us to Kingswinford to overnight before picking up our FW Special Edition kit tomorrow morning.

The excitement has been building for us from the moment we placed the order at the end of last year until now, the kit car is my 40th birthday present from my wife (who will definitely be the boss during the build!!). Today reminds me of that Christmas Eve feeling you used to get as a kid, you can't wait for tomorrow when you'll get to unwrap all those cool new toys!

We have spent the last 4 weeks turning our garage from a dirty & dusty place where we'd dump all manner of stuff to what I hope resembles a workshop fit for a Westfield.

The%20Workshop_zpskf0ywivw.jpg

We've got more tools and to come in a few weeks hopefully (my birthday  :) )

We really are complete novices, we've never tried anything remotely like this, its quite a daunting challenge but with your kind help and advice I'm sure we'll be driving around in a bright orange and black FW next spring!

We will be asking a LOT of questions, I'll apologise now for any questions which turn out to be silly or obvious  :d

Cheers

Steve & Karrena

• Like 5

Hello and welcome aboard.

One piece of timely advice - when you are at the factory, look at as many cars as you can. Take as many photos as you can.

Ask the guys there about sequence of build, get them to talk you through how they do it. Take photos of brake pipe runs, follow where the wiring loom is run. The manual, while it may look very comprehensive, is at best a guide and at worst a source of complete frustration. You will find you rely more on your photos.

If you can pick up some spare pieces of brake and fuel pipe, they are invaluable to practice on. If you can ask one of the guys to bend the smallest brake pipe for you, it is a notoriously difficult task!!

Good luck, enjoy the build and don't be frightened to ask questions, you will be surprised as to how much help you will get.

Fantastic look forward to following this one :ww:  just had my 40th too ...think I need a new wife!! :d

• Like 1

Great ... another build thread.    Looks like you have a great space to complete the build too.

Don't get too worried if you are presented with a list of missing parts tomorrow.  That is unfortunately normal but won't typically stop you cracking on.

Enjoy

David

Looks very clean and tidy. It won't be for like that for long. Enjoy the build process, keep your build diary up-to-date and ask questions. the diary/blog servers multiple purposes, helps you to see issues with grater clarity, helps other to help you and can be used as part of the IVA process. I found when building mine that when I went away with a problem, updating my blog helped me because I had to state what the problem was in a clear and concise way, which helps you see the issue better.

Eeh i remember my 40th......i think....it was over a quarter of a century ago  :rolleyes:

And good luck with the build  :t-up:

One piece of timely advice - when you are at the factory, look at as many cars as you can. Take as many photos as you can.

This is the best advice you could have at this point. You probably won't really know what you're taking photos of, but just take photos of every inch from every angle, they will be a great help later.

Good luck with the build! :t-up:

Oooh, another build is great. Listen to Ste about photos and asking here, as for the manual , just use it to keep warm in the winter by burning it  :d

Excellent news, I will be following your updates. Good luck with the build and don't hesitate to ask questions on here.

Have you given your car a name yet?

M

I'm writing the first entry of our build thread from the passenger seat of a Luton van taking to us to Kingswinford to overnight before picking up our FW Special Edition kit tomorrow morning.

The excitement has been building for us from the moment we placed the order at the end of last year until now, the kit car is my 40th birthday present from my wife (who will definitely be the boss during the build!!). Today reminds me of that Christmas Eve feeling you used to get as a kid, you can't wait for tomorrow when you'll get to unwrap all those cool new toys!

We have spent the last 4 weeks turning our garage from a dirty & dusty place where we'd dump all manner of stuff to what I hope resembles a workshop fit for a Westfield.

The%20Workshop_zpskf0ywivw.jpg

We've got more tools and to come in a few weeks hopefully (my birthday  :) )

We really are complete novices, we've never tried anything remotely like this, its quite a daunting challenge but with your kind help and advice I'm sure we'll be driving around in a bright orange and black FW next spring!

We will be asking a LOT of questions, I'll apologise now for any questions which turn out to be silly or obvious  :d

Cheers

Steve & Karrena

Loving the "wine rack "  :)

• Like 2

Welcome and best of luck. One other piece of advice, don't set yourself a fixed deadline to get it on the road, oftentimes the build takes longer than expected and missing parts from Westfield can be frustrating. Enjoy the build and accept that it will take as long as it will take. This forum is a great place for support, post often!

• Like 1

Hi, 

My first update on the (limited) progress we have made.

Collection:

Great ... another build thread.    Looks like you have a great space to complete the build too.

Don't get too worried if you are presented with a list of missing parts tomorrow.  That is unfortunately normal but won't typically stop you cracking on.

Enjoy

David

You weren't wrong about the list of missing parts! My list was impressive: Wheels, tyres, engine, gearbox, shocks, roll cage, brakes, windscreen & some velcro!! Still never mind, they've been very good about delivering the bigger items (next Thursday) 

So onto the build or not as the case may be. My wife a disagreement on the approach to take. I wanted to start putting things on the chassis, she wanted to document and stack the parts in order. So this week we have spent our evenings trying to identify parts based on the picking list (not very useful) and the manual (not much more help). Turns out google images is our friend here! That said, even google images didn't know what a "collet" was! 

Maybe a hint and tip for Westfield aimed at helping people with a complete lack of knowledge - label the bits in the box so that they correspond to the manual / picking list!

We plan to put the pedals on the car this Saturday - if I ever get finished with the inventory!!

I've tried calling around to get build up insurance and so far I have tried A-Plan (they ignored me twice) and Adrian Flux who quoted £220 for a year fully comp (covers build up) and 2000 miles. Does that sound reasonable?

I've just taken out a similar policy with aplan for less than £120. (I'm 40) This will cover driving it to IVA when I'm ready as well. I would try them again.

Are you sure this is a wise husband and wife venture??? Maybe you need a rota and take it in turns to be stores person and builder :d

• Like 1