Sign in to follow this  
TREVORGIDLOW

Fuel evaporation from twin 45's?

TREVORGIDLOW

Hi,

I own a Ford Pinto 2.1 with twin Webber 45's, if I run it until it is propery hot in the summer (it is not overheating) and immediately try to start again (even 30mins later) it simply will not start and yesterday I could not even bump start it. My mechanic tells me that this is due to high temperatures evaporating the petrol out of the carbs through the air intakes and that I should try depressing the accelarator 4x before turning the ignition to try an get the petrol in. 

Do people concur/ are there any other ideas out there? He did mention that some people have put a baffle between the engine and the carbs to reduce carb temps, but it doesn't sound very convincing to me. I suppose I could upgrade the fan to reduce temps to a consistent 80deg?

Trevor

Davemk1

I would try hold the throttle about 1/2 open or so while cranking it to give it more air during the starting process.

dave

tisme

Are you still using the mechanical fuel pump?

I'd suggest an electric one may be better as it'll deliver the fuel to the carbs regardless of what the engine is doing (you'd almost certainly need a fuel regulator as well). With twin 45's I'd be surprised if all the fuel evaporated even after 30 minutes let alone immediately after stopping it. Yes, "pumping" the accelerator will squirt fuel into the engine from the carb pump jets and that often gets it going but could also flood it if used too much (assuming of course that there's enough fuel in the carbs)

It could just be that with a hot engine and a mechanical pump, then the fuel levels could be low enough to make it reluctant to start - I'd also check the plugs are the correct ones and clean and that there's a good spark (worth just checking leads and distributor)

Most engine bays will be hot (very hot) in warm weather so not sure of any benefits of a thicker manifold gasket

scrooge

I would agree about the fuel pump,do you have any ventilation in the bonnet?I would be surprised if the fuel was evaporating if left

Welly Jen

Don't discount the possibility that it is ignition related either. Worth checking you are actually getting a spark when your car is doing its hard to start when hot thing. I had a very similar problem when I first had mine. A previous owner had installed a hidden ignition kill switch. Fine,except they had used very light gauge wire. When hot the resistance increased, dropping the voltage available to the Luminition ignition mudule to below its minimum. The end result was you could start the car from cold, it would carry on running when hot, but if you stopped you couldn't restart till it cooled right down again. Caused a lot of head scratching and I replaced all sorts of things till I found the culprit. A coil on its way out might also give the symptoms you are seeing for example.

Jen

Mighty Mart

Hello mate,

Mine is a b******* to start when hot and will then flood and not want to start for a few minutes which can be difficult at times, but I have cured thus by blipping the throttle before turning off the ignition....works every time then!

During colder weather it needs the four pump trick to start when cold, but during the summer, it will start straight away with no pumps, but I have blipped it before turning off previously.....could be worth you trying this!

Engine is a 1700 crossflow in fair tune, on 45's.

Mart,

• Like 1

SootySport

A fan with a run on timer works well in dispersing heat at the top of the engine.

TREVORGIDLOW

Mart,

Thanks for this. Sounds very convincing to me, will annoy my neighbours with trials on Sat! Presume you give it about 3-4 blips in quick sucession up to about 3000rpm?

Hello mate,
Mine is a b******* to start when hot and will then flood and not want to start for a few minutes which can be difficult at times, but I have cured thus by blipping the throttle before turning off the ignition....works every time then!
During colder weather it needs the four pump trick to start when cold, but during the summer, it will start straight away with no pumps, but I have blipped it before turning off previously.....could be worth you trying this!
Engine is a 1700 crossflow in fair tune, on 45's.
Mart,