sport 250

Jeremy Farmer

I expect it will be a very different car, with a very different character. :) can't wait to see!

I expect it will be a very different car, with a very different character. :) can't wait to see!

I'm expecting it to be a bit of an animal, depending on how the mapping works with the car. Lots of those small turbo cars seem to create a lot of low down torque, but we'll see if its a decent step forward when its properly running.

I had a look at Stoneleigh and made my comments on the other post.

But just to recap. There is a big list of options, that I think should be standard on such a car as this.

Anti roll bars, upgraded brakes, suspension, and others that should be higher quality like the digi dash and switches.

The starting price is 25K but with options you can add several thousand to that.

I disagree. Many may take the options, but not everyone. Which anti roll bars for instance? I have Playskool on my S2000 and I had them on my old XE car too. I don't like the stiffness of the factory ARB, and I certainly wouldn't want the inboard front ARB as I really dislike it's fairly course adjustment range, let alone it's stiffness rate.

I've had AP front brakes on my last two cars, not Hi Spec. My current car is narrow track front, I'm not saying I won't wide track it, but I'd like the choice...

The starting price is what it is, as has been said, because of the prices for the all new drive train.

It's one thing to push the price up to circa £30000 with options, it's quite another to have that as the base price. The market just wasn't ready for a Westfield at that sort of base price years ago when the Sport 2000S was launched, and I still don't think it's ready for it now. Though I'd like to think we're heading there.

Thing is with the St250 it's easy to forget that they are using a brand new drive train which is always going to be significantly more expensive. You are at the thick end of nearly 10k before you even start.

I've just committed to build the first ST250 starter kit and after several runs of the figures I expect to come in cheaper than the s2000 equivalent car. But I won't have the privilege of a brand new everything. But then again I wouldnt if I'd built the s2000 car.

Hi All,

Are we suggesting that the standard package will not be 'up to it'?

Will I need additonal options to create a competent vehicle?

Or does the forum think I should just 'go for it' and upgrade later when obvious failings or enhancements dictate?

Sorry for all the questions, but I would like to import all at once here in Mex.

Cheers

The value of some options varies rather with how the car is going to be used. Road only, and the state of those roads, track only, or as is usually the case, somewhere between those two extremes.

Given the performance I'd personally go for an LSD and the AP brakes as perhaps the most critical upgrades...

Many thanks to all that have replied.

Gadgetman - I invisage 95% road, but there is a track near by, so maybe!

KCE -'the performance' ah.... a good question, I cannot get any definitive figures or even an idea of the potential.

If anyone has an idea of the true weight I can make some guesses myself.

Cheers

just a stab in the dark, but I'd say 252bhp and around 575-600kg (plus the driver of course)

Cheers CH.

I think I will work on 800, all up as my base line. Then I have to work on the USA st engine. BHP can be improved somewhat but the torque yes!!

You'd better hurry up before Trump builds the wall....!

Not sure on the weight of the Ford/Mazda drive train, but unless the engine is exceptionally light, I'd be surprised to see it below 600kg, due to the weight of the turbo, induction plumbing and intercooler package, I'd have guessed mid to high in the 600/700kg range. Hopefully it's lighter than the Honda set up, which weighs as much as a small planet!

As for options; personally, I'd go Sport Turbo seats, wide track front and uprated front brakes, either The Hi Spec race package or the AP race package.

I'd also be asking Siltech if they'd export me a set of anti roll bars!

i'd be very surprised if the sport250 comes in at less than 650kg as the mazda diff weighs the same as a small house

Not sure on the weight of the Ford/Mazda drive train, but unless the engine is exceptionally light, I'd be surprised to see it below 600kg, due to the weight of the turbo, induction plumbing and intercooler package, I'd have guessed mid to high in the 600/700kg range. Hopefully it's lighter than the Honda set up, which weighs as much as a small planet!

As for options; personally, I'd go Sport Turbo seats, wide track front and uprated front brakes, either The Hi Spec race package or the AP race package.

I'd also be asking Siltech if they'd export me a set of anti roll bars!

Dave - what's the weight of an average S2000 car?