Reverse gearbox on Megablade

FRENCHMICK

Does anyone know if there is an oil level check for the reverse gearbox on my Megablade, did I read that they are sealed for life or can I check the oil level, it looks pretty difficult to access the unit, there are two holes in the floor pan, I guess to get at the propshaft bolts, but apart from that access is very tight.

The car was manufactured by Wesrfield in 2001.

Thanks for your help.

Mick

The Westfield reverse gearbox is not sealed for life. There is a fill hole/bolt on the driers side,about halfway up, (there are two allen key bolts and you remove the top one to fill) which you fill until the oil dribbles out. I believe it is 800ml from empty.

The transmission tunnel panels to the side and above the box, should only be held on with self tapping screws to allow removal and access. Also the box vents to air, a small pin hole on the back of the box, just above the Westfield logo, so there will be oil residue sprayed about. A lot of people have modified the outlet and feed into a small catch tank to keep things clean.

There are three other RGB manufacturers, Quaife, Nova and MNR, which may have been fitted.

James

• Like 1

Thanks for that James,

I was looking at the original build manual for the car and nowhere does it tell you about how to fill or check the oil level, the diagram in the build manual shows you the opposite side to the driver where there is a hexagon bolt halfway up with the words GEAR Detent DO NOT REMOVE.

I phoned Westfield this morning and they informed me that the reverse gear box at that time was one of their gear boxes.

Thanks a lot  James.

Cheers,

Mick

I have just checked my megabusa construction manual, and the box has 180ml capacity, not what I stated above. It also states that EP80-EP90 oil should be used. It was in the bottom right hand corner of the exploded installation diagram, page 8.5, Diagram 1, with the "Gear detent do not remove" statement.

• Like 1

Thanks James,

My manual for the fire blade says nothing about the oil or the capacity. I went on the Internet and found some photos which show me where to fill, drain and the level plug, and yes I did see about detent plug,thank you.

I will order some EP80 EP90 oil.

Thanks again James.

Cheers

Mick

Hi James,

I have some EP80 - EP90 oil on order for the rear diff, which is off a Land Rover Defender, so it's the same oil for diff and reverse gearbox.

Good news, thank you.

Cheers,

Mick

It will leak all over, be prepared. But the upside is it keeps the rust at bay.

You dont need to know the amount really, just fill slowly to the bottom or the hole then fit bolt in tight. The box as said will chuck most of the oil out so check it often if driven hard otherwise once a year should be ok.

Be aware the oil when leaking can get on the threads of the input and output shafts causing the large nut holding the prop flange on to loosen. To fix this remove said nut only if loose, degrease thoroughly, apply a good threadlock and tighten to whatever the required torque is, i cant remember now.. Dont overtighten.. You can damage a bronze washer. Use threadlock again on the 4 prop bolts.. You dont want to crawl under there often.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

HI,

what oil did you end up ordering? Ep80-EP90 is kind of hard to get where I live in Oslo Norway. Is this usable? Please help

11825.jpg

Regards,

Markus Voss

13 hours ago, MarkusV said:

HI,

what oil did you end up ordering? Ep80-EP90 is kind of hard to get where I live in Oslo Norway. Is this usable? Please help

11825.jpg

Regards,

Markus Voss

Yes, the manual said EP80 or EP90 Hypoid gear oil, whic is the same as the freelander differential with quaife ATB fitted.

• 5 weeks later...

Edit to the video. 

The main oil seals should be

65mm (to fit recess) x

49mm (to fit rotating shaft) x

6mm deep. I seem to have had success so far. 

No leaks! The 65x50x8 will leak (standard size) so go smaller 65x49x6 👍

sorry to hi jack the thread but couldnt help myself seeing as it was the topic it is..

does anyone know what's involved in removing the reverse gearbox altogether on a factory built megablade?

And fitting electrical reverse? 

If so look up a member called cast iron he recently done the conversion 

If just removing with no reverse at all, 

New prop, (from Bailey Morris) 

weld in centre bearing mount plate

For starters