(Complete Novice) New Members from Rochester Kent

SpikeB

Welcome aboard. The Halfords Advanced set is excellent value for money and has served me well for about 8 years and loads of abuse. Can't go wrong. Don't forget a really big hammer too.

That's a really nice spec car you've ordered.

Welcome from me too. I am about to embark on an S2000 build and collect my car in a couple of weeks. Glad I have build company with all these cars getting through IVA at the moment.

I went for Protech shocks for being a better quality lighter shock , as if I went with standards, I would want to upgrade soon after and waste my money and buy twice. Also they have a 3 year warranty and are only a few miles down the road from me, should they need a service.

Welcome along - I'm from Maidstone so not too far.  I was also a complete novice about 4-5 years ago when I got my first Westy and it's safe to say that I'm now slightly less of a novice  :d but I'm massively surprised at the complexity of jobs that I have tackled.  Have a look at the following DVD if you want to wet you appetite whilst you wait for your delivery - it gives great insight to the build and will help with prep, tools etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Racing-Car-Born-Westfield-Circuit/dp/B00011FY6I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462996825&sr=8-1&keywords=westfield+dvd

I've been following your blog with keen interest - it's a fantastic blog, you have plenty of pictures and an explanation of what you are doing. You are my alternative build manual  :) . I really felt sorry for you when you had to remove the fuel tank because of a fault.

Not half as sorry as I felt!!!

However.... Every set back gives you a chance to look at your build, assess what you have done and gives you the confidence to know that you can tackle any problem.

My mistakes have usually been because I have not had the foresight to look ahead. Don't rush your build, dry fit as much as you can so you get a chance to see which parts affect others. If you have a problem don't be frightened to walk away and come back to it with a fresh mind.

Enjoy your build!!

If you have a problem don't be frightened to walk away and come back to it with a fresh mind.

I'd add update your blog and then come back, I was amazed at the number of times I finished for the evening pondering an issue, updated my blog and saw the problem in a different light. Having to explain an issue to others means you have to think how to explain the issue in a logical way and in doing so you see the problem differently as well. It's something I've learned from work quite often you can explain a problem to a colleague or listen to a problem from a colleague, the person listening quite often has to say very little to help.

Good luck with the build, the important thing to do is enjoy it and remember, as my Wife now understands, that a Westfield is never finished.

Having to explain an issue to others means you have to think how to explain the issue in a logical way and in doing so you see the problem differently as well. It's something I've learned from work quite often you can explain a problem to a colleague or listen to a problem from a colleague, the person listening quite often has to say very little to help.

Couldn't agree more!

Many times I've sat down and explained a problem in detail to anyone that would listen and then, often before I've even finished, the answer just appears in my head!

Welcome, Although Kent doesnt have a meet, some guys come across to the Sussex meet. Contact the area AO & get yourself added to the email list. the Essex guys are a great bunch too.

You'll always get plenty of advice on here, so don't be afraid to ask.

If you ever need bits of metal / Ali plate / welding / Fabrication etc then i'm only 10mins south of Jnct 6 M25.

Most important thing needed in the garage, is a tin of "suggestive biscuits" you'll be amazed how you will solve things whilst eating them.

Have you ordered your kit, with the Ali panels pre-fitted & brake lines installed ?  If not then your going to need a pop rivet gun. Hand guns are fine, but if your budget stretches to it (or can borrow one), a small compressor & air rivet gun will save your wrists & hours of time.

HTH

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

Yeah we ordered the kit with the panels, brake lines, fuel lines and electrical loom fitted. Thinking about it now it feels like we're cheating a bit but our thinking was that the panel fitting didn't look like fun (600 holes to be drilled and riveted apparently) and with brakes and fuel we figured if we got it wrong there could be a safety issue.

Counting down the days till pickup!!