Bedford monday 9th - NOISE!

m22ble

Hi guys/girls

Anyone at Bedford on Monday? its my first track day with my new car, Westfield Se, C20xe on throttle bodies and what appears to be a standard carbon exhaust(???). My only concern is the noise limits.... i used an iphone app and it recorded 100db, i bought a maplin sound checker and recorded 116db!!! which one to believe?!? Has anyone got roughy the same set up as me, if so what sounds are you reaching? 

i've also brought an exhaust sound muffler so i'm hoping that may help if its too loud, but you never know without testing?!? ive also checked the cars attending and theres all sort, caterham r400, M3s, Westys, atoms bla bla bla so i'm hoping they cant all be quiter than me... i suppose only checking on the day will tell!

Let me know you thoughts, any help is good help! cheers guys 

Interested to see what muffler you bought, got a link?

There's afew going but not me. Have a look at the thread.

Yes there's a few of us there tomorrow, my car is pretty similar to yours and recorded 96db at MIRA yesterday. I've just bought a load of acoustafil so will have a few spare metres in case it's needed tomorrow.

We'll see what the cars do at the static test and if they're close, just make sure you spot the noise mics during the convoy run and lift or change gear at those spots and you'll be fine.

The main noise you will have issues with is induction not exhaust. I was at beford with an xe car on throttle bodies a few years back and got black flagged immediately and asked to leave

I've been thrown off before as well.  Static test was ok at 93db.     I was a victim of the wind, just happened to be blowing in the wrong direction on the day.  You can loose an extra 2db. with Acoustifill, I did a back to back noise test but then induction noise is more noticeable. Maybe a sheet of Acoustifill tied round the air filter will help.

Noise police will be out in force for sure, Bedford normally has a 101db static and 87db drive by and apply the rule very strictly. Shame because it's a brilliant circuit but no good if you have any sort of tuned or modified motor.

Last time I went I got pulled in three laps in a row for being close to the drive by limit and told in no uncertain terms that if I set off one of the noise monitors I'd be going home, so I went home anyway, no fun if you can't use full throttle.

I'd never go again in anything other than a stock road car.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thrown off before as well.  I was a victim of the wind,

Pretty common at your age Bernie! :-D

• Like 1

Just to put this one to bed, there were three of us out in force at Bedford on the 9th and although one of our group saw the 'noise' warning board a few times, none of us were thrown off. There were quite a few Westies and Caterhams there all having a good day.