Abingdon Track Day 23rd Sept - In memory of a Cotswold Member

Tom Frankland (T3OMF)

Thanks to Tom for organising and I'm sorry I missed the photo. Sometimes I have the memory of a goldfish.

• Like 1

It was a great day.  Around 20 Westies, which is the most I've seen in one place outside Stoneleigh.  My only gripe was the lack of straights for overtaking following the changes to the track layout. It led to a fair few lunges to overtake in the braking areas and rather than improving safety by slowing everything down, I thing it increased the risk by making the hot heads take chances.  

Really enjoyed it, though.

How has the circuit been altered Mooch? ???

How has the circuit been altered Mooch? ???

This was my third visit.  On the first and second visit, the main runway was one long blast with a chicane halfway along.  However, it looks like MSE thought that was allowing too much speed so to stop folks shooting straight off the end of the runway if they forget to brake, there is now a chicane complex at the end of the runway so you now enter the chicane at the left side and exit on the right.

Also, after the end of the runway, there was a fast sweeping left hander leading to the next 'cone chicane' however, another chicane has been added (which was there on my second visit, too) which has effectively removed this sweeping left and shortened it.  Both the straight between the chicane and end of the runway and this left hander were useful places to either get past, or let others get past without ruining your own lap.  

Don't get me wrong, it's still fun, and our cars are fantastic in these technical bits, but I found I was getting slowed up in the twisty bits and unable to get past the same cars with the space available, as did others which led to some scary moments in the braking areas.  There were a few queues of cars as a result.

I know the answer I'll get, which is fit a turbo or supercharger!  

No don't fit a turbo or supercharger. Every time I add a dollop of power they stick another chicane in. If you start it'll be a slalom next year :d

• Like 4

Great Mike and Gary, thanks. It doesn't look to be too much of a change and my Pinto engined Westfield doesn't really appreciate long straights such as that one or, more particularly the now-lost Hullavington, so a new chicane is not a problem. Overtaking is bound to be impeded but there's a couple of other places - the straight after the open right handed bend after the start corner or the long left handed curve before the final left at the pits entrance. I'm sorry I missed this day but my son, who is a very keen Abingdon driver in both our Westfield and his Z4M Coupé, has gone to live in Sydney and that, along with problems at home with various things, caused me to delay too long with the booking. :( Still there's still 2017...

Awesome day, nice to see so many there and sorry I did not get to speak with many of you.

Comment on pistonheads that there were many fast Westfields has been rebuffed by a Caterham driver! To keep the peace I will not comment that I passed him when I was on a cool down lap.

Link to the comment place Stu......

• Like 1

Sounds like you certainly did Chris proud, well done for arranging it Tom, and well done to all those that took part.

Awesome day, nice to see so many there and sorry I did not get to speak with many of you.

Comment on pistonheads that there were many fast Westfields has been rebuffed by a Caterham driver! To keep the peace I will not comment that I passed him when I was on a cool down lap.

Isn't that one the friendly Caterham driver as opposed to the slick shod one that didn't seem to like letting people past? The instructor told me just to nail it on the straights anyway and ignore 'consent'.

• Like 1