Stoneleigh 2016 - Feedback and ideas thread...

Andy Banks

As we do every year for the past few years, here is the feedback thread. I'd like to know all the good and all the bad, please feel free to comment. To get the ball rolling I've icked a few of my own and some that you told me about over the wekend...

• Good - Lamb Roast - Same again next year please
  • Good - Beer - Same again next year, maybe just two barrels though. They come from Warwickshire Brewery just down the road if anyone wants to suggest a particular brew for 2017
  • Good - Numbers of helpers was spot on and everyone mucked in
  • Good - Although it was an early finish, I personally think the take down went rely well this year
  • Bad - Monday weather and attendance figures but we can't do anything about the weather
  • Good - New Farmers Café and their willingness to shelter and entertain us and sell us beer late into the night. I'll do a specific note to them on this and their Lamb Roast
  • Good - Camping area staked out, although not so busy, perhaps the weather drove into local B&Bs
  • Good - Car parking across the way from camping rather on the camp-site and around the marque
  • Idea - Big rubber mats, preferably branded for the entrances to the marquee
  • Idea - Open another part of the marquee for set-up so we don't tread down the show day entrances
  • Idea - Buy a couple of patio heaters
  • Idea - Branded Walker St Claire cockpit covers for rent (monies to charity)
  • Good - Huge numbers of cars on Monday around 160 I think (not official figures, count to be declared in official report)
  • Good - Storage and location of show kit. We will also improve on this with shelving and plastic boxes properly labelled

'nuff from me.

• Like 1

All based around creating activity and interest in the club area inside and out... (some may have been done before)

re-introduce the large screen TV with trackday/sprint/photo slideshow - was a great idea and created all day interest inside - well I liked it

could we get the mobile rolling road that was at the show a few years back to be on the WSCC area somewhere and have reduced cost rolling road for WSCC members (not sure if it was there this year)

Tug of war - narrows and wides body owners :laugh:

Some WSCC dolly birds handing out flyers or available for photos for a small contribution to charity?  :oops: - as the Ultima team will no doubt confirm it does create a gathering although I am not suggesting for one minute we have full on paid models (although that would be nice) :d

Could we do a sound off at a set time each day? Or maybe get a noise meter and those that wish to enter have their cars tested - small prize for the best sounding car or/and loudest ;)

Concourse event for those interested 

maybe a talk about engines/cars from Troy NMS or anyone else we can get together - some of the car related traders to show off their goods at set times throughout the day

Be nice to have a timetable for events published in advance so that members know what is on and when

These ideas are all extra work though for someone I understand

oh and how about a games console with a steering wheel with a suitable racing game - competition on one circuit/lap to see who gets quickest time - small entry fee say 50p and the money goes into the pot for the winner (or half for the winner and the rest to charity)?

• Like 1

I think one area that needs some though is the Auto Jumble. 

I happened to be talking to the volunteers at 16:00 on the Sunday and they asked what happens now and who takes over until it's official close at 16:30, apparently there was no one scheduled in from 16:00. As I was not doing anything I stepped in to allow them to have a look around the show for a while.

I was therefore around to assist with a few more purchases (some items happened to be something of mine to can't complain on that count) and the pickup of other items that had not sold. there were quite a few items remaining with no clue as to what's happening to them. I assisted with trying to contact the owner of one of the items that some one wanted to purchase but with out success, thankfully having checked with some of the members still around I found out the owner had left but luckily he would be seeing them so took the money on there behalf. 

We need to do something to smooth the process for non purchased items or items that can remain for the two days.  My initial thoughts are to have some sort of log which could contain some additional info eg alternate contact, what should happen at the end of the Sunday and the end of Monday etc. Probably needs a little more thought and discussion.  

Some minor observations on an otherwise excellent event. 

Hi Rhett

Noted the point about having cover until 16.30 - that was an oversight.

Regarding the items that are left, on the T's & C's that were on the Autojumble table, the unsold and unclaimed items are kept by WSCC and stored for a period of 28 days, after which they will be disposed of.

Happy to hear other ideas around this.

thanks

Ian

The auto jumble was tricky. Often there would be a buyer but the seller was not answering calls. This meant frustrated buyers fretting about missing out on an item. Some punters were a little stroppy about this. Particularly when they could then see others eyeing up the same item and getting their phones out.

Without handling money and sales, could we consider a reserve system where items are removed from sale for a set period to give the buyer time to get hold of the seller? Maybe an hour or something.

Otherwise I agree with all the above and there's some interesting suggestions. Particularly like the idea about product or service talks from vendors etc. Would be interesting particularly with beer :d

My comments added :)

As we do every year for the past few years, here is the feedback thread. I'd like to know all the good and all the bad, please feel free to comment. To get the ball rolling I've icked a few of my own and some that you told me about over the weekend...

• Good - Lamb Roast - Same again next year please (Yep, that was a real hit, agreed, it should become a standard item)
  • Good - Beer - Same again next year, maybe just two barrels though. They come from Warwickshire Brewery just down the road if anyone wants to suggest a particular brew for 2017 (Yep, as above)
  • Good - Numbers of helpers was spot on and everyone mucked in :t-up:
  • Good - Although it was an early finish, I personally think the take down went rely well this year :t-up:
  • Bad - Monday weather and attendance figures but we can't do anything about the weather (Well, I ordered good weather...!)
  • Good - New Farmers Café and their willingness to shelter and entertain us and sell us beer late into the night. I'll do a specific note to them on this and their Lamb Roast (Fab)
  • Good - Camping area staked out, although not so busy, perhaps the weather drove into local B&Bs (True, but at least this year it was quiet, apart from the snoring and farting! Pain of Death Signs worked too )
  • Good - Car parking across the way from camping rather on the camp-site and around the marque (Yes, much better - might need No Parking signs on north side of marquee and entrance to camping area on NE corner)
  • Idea - Big rubber mats, preferably branded for the entrances to the marquee (Branded or no, definitely - North, West and South entrances)
  • Idea - Open another part of the marquee for set-up so we don't tread down the show day entrances (Ah, the gift of hindsight!  But great idea)
  • Idea - Buy a couple of patio heaters (Yep, just need to make sure they'll fit in the trailer or van, plus consider how they will be stored, they're big Hectors and we need to make sure Delboy can store them)
  • Idea - Branded Walker St Claire cockpit covers for rent (monies to charity) (Needs investigation as to how many - I assume you're talking about buying them and hiring them out with a deposit?  Mind you, if we buy some, that will guarantee the sunshine will be out!)
  • Good - Huge numbers of cars on Monday around 160 I think (not official figures, count to be declared in official report) :t-up: :t-up: :t-up:
  • Good - Storage and location of show kit. We will also improve on this with shelving and plastic boxes properly labelled :t-up: :t-up: :t-up:

'nuff from me.

And more comments from me... ;)

All based around creating activity and interest in the club area inside and out... (some may have been done before)

re-introduce the large screen TV with trackday/sprint/photo slideshow - was a great idea and created all day interest inside - well I liked it (I did too, but if done needs to be raised up above head height so views aren't blocked, and no audio needed, just lots of subtitles)

could we get the mobile rolling road that was at the show a few years back to be on the WSCC area somewhere and have reduced cost rolling road for WSCC members (not sure if it was there this year) (If someone does the investigation and gets the numbers for the SOT, we will look at it if it makes sense - the glorious and esteemed Club Secretary would have to examine it from an insurance and liability standpoint as well, could be litigation city if we screwed it up)

Tug of war - narrows and wides body owners :laugh:(Tried once, well, a ToW was organised and attempted - no takers arrived. Wimps. :p )

Some WSCC dolly birds handing out flyers or available for photos for a small contribution to charity? :oops: - as the Ultima team will no doubt confirm it does create a gathering although I am not suggesting for one minute we have full on paid models (although that would be nice) :d(If anyone wants to send the committee photos of their beautiful, scantily dressed and willing female partners for the committee members to "judge" at committee@wscc.co.uk , we'll be delighted to receive them. Tough job, but someone has to do it. Send them today. Send lots. On an equal opportunities front however, we'd also have to have blokes in mankinis to balance it out. Our 2016 Spirit of the Club Winner Julie Hall would no doubt demand we "rent" Guy Martin - and he'd demand danger money.)

Could we do a sound off at a set time each day? Or maybe get a noise meter and those that wish to enter have their cars tested - small prize for the best sounding car or/and loudest ;)(A lunchtime sound-off sounds like fun, especially as I'm heartily sick of the racket from the Drift Experience. :bangshead: )

Concourse event for those interested (I will NOT be judging that, thank you - I'm already in enough bad books.)

maybe a talk about engines/cars from Troy NMS or anyone else we can get together - some of the car related traders to show off their goods at set times throughout the day (Wouldn't work outside thanks to WSC Ltd's Drift Experience - unless we steal their cars. So would have to be indoors some place.)

Be nice to have a timetable for events published in advance so that members know what is on and when (Yep, very sensible.)

These ideas are all extra work though for someone I understand (True - thanks for volunteering, I'll put you down for the lot. :p;) )

• Like 1

• Idea - Branded Walker St Claire cockpit covers for rent (monies to charity) (Needs investigation as to how many - I assume you're talking about buying them and hiring them out with a deposit?  Mind you, if we buy some, that will guarantee the sunshine will be out!)

I for one would have bought one while I was there, I looked all over and not one trader had any for sale. You could offer one for sale or for those who only want to rent have some for that use.

Idea - have the flags lining the avenue at the rear of the cars as the position did not give the best view of photo opportunity.

Can we have pork next year I don't like lamb ;-)

Can we have pork next year I don't like lamb ;-)

Neither do I normally, but it was delicious! Yum!

About that though, the minimum number of guests if we wanted pork was not 70 but 150, which makes sense if you think about it as pigs are much larger than lambs. That's why lamb was selected, and I'm glad it was, very tasty. :)

Branded mats on the entrance would be more professional than cardboard boxes, but could the whole marquee be carpeted? The stuff that's used at shows must be fairly cheap and available from the marquee hirers'. Or would the grass need to be boarded over?

I'm not a vegetarian, god made animals too tasty, but was there a veggie option for the BBQ?

• Like 1

My comments after my 15th Stoneleigh.

Lamb:- Great, fantastic, brilliant idea!  :t-up:

Wine :- Great, not all of us have the storage capacity for gallons of beer  :d

Everything else relating to the WSCC:- Extra special as usual, the organisers, the volunteers, the cars, the people, the fun, the pi$$ takes, the wind ups, you name it, lets all pat ourselves on the back for being the best represented club at the show :t-up:

• Like 4

Idea - have the flags lining the avenue at the rear of the cars as the position did not give the best view of photo opportunity.

Yep well reminded. We may have fallen foul of not using the grass paint to mark out these boundaries due to the weather on Saturday and being caught a bit short at gates open on Sunday. We do need to be slicker with organising people, especially if they have not done it before, its easy to be complacent in heat of it all and, we often do, assume everyone knows what and when.

I'm not a vegetarian, god made animals too tasty, but was there a veggie option for the BBQ?

Excellent point. We did have this on the list but failed to deliver. I think the next lot should add this to their list, maybe post up a poll to get a rough idea. I do hope however, although no one said anything at the time, that we did not let non-meat eaters down on that count.