Sign in to follow this  
robhume

car reg

robhume

This question has probably been asked before, if so ,apologies.

If you buy a  midget, say 76 reg and it has a 1500cc engine, can the

engine details be changed  to a 1275cc with Swansea prior to starting

the XI build. 

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Not sure how you'd fair with the MG, but there is a significant chance you might have to prove the swap had been done.

The back story is that large enough numbers of kit builders with Sierra donors took the p... updating the V5's to show them as having had Zetec engine swaps prior to building the kit car. Then low and behold a car based around an eighties donor suddenly appeared for registration with a brand new crate engine, (or low mile second hand engine).

The DVLA wasn't stupid and realised this was a paper pushing exercise, so started asking for written proof from a third party - usually a garage that the engine in the donor car was what the forms said it was.

stephenh

I don't think you will have a problem as long as you have the correct engine number of the 1275 engine which you are fitting. ;)  ;)

robhume

Yes Stephenh, that's what I thought.

robhume

I have managed to get hold of a '70 reg Midget, and removed all the

parts needed, so some progress.

However Westfield has put the collection date by two weeks,

which is not the start I had hoped for. More gardening time.

Also managed to find someone who will make and fit a ROPS that should meet

the new requirements.

MK11

Sorry, but I agree with Dave.  Not all of the DVLA bods are stupid by any stretch.  When I registered my XI the chap was telling me about a Tiger owner that was gutted to receive a Q plate when he tried to pull the Zetec engine Sierra trick.  Unless you can prove that the 1275 engine was in the donor then I suspect you may end up with a Q plate.  I don't think it's worth the risk to be honest, after all there should be a number of 1275 donors available.

(PM me if you want more info!)

Nick - Joint North East AO

If you change to 1275 I wonder if that reduces the tax cost. If so I would think they will want proof. I was lucky that my'n had the engine swap already on the log book.

Mark (smokey mow)

If you change to 1275 I wonder if that reduces the tax cost. If so I would think they will want proof. I was lucky that my'n had the engine swap already on the log book.

a 1500cc engine would still be in the same tax class as the 1275cc. IIRC the next band up starts at 1549cc,

robhume

I have now got the car to rolling stage after after almost going into terminal decline with house selling and buying, what a nightmare.

Got hold of a climax pump engine, which is in the process of being de pumped if you follow what I mean. Long way to go and will need crank, rods and pistons changing and mods to the head but  yep I like a challenge.