Front roll centre height

robhume

Hi, 

New to the forum and hello, have recently ordered an eleven.

As title says, does anyone know the front roll centre height.

Its where ever you decide to set it with the suspension geometry of the wishbone angles

• Like 1

The XI has parallel, unequal length, front wishbones. If I remember correctly, the roll centre on a car with parallel and equal length wishbones is on the axis of the imaginary axle if the wishbones are parallel with the road, So I'm thinking with the unequal length wishbones, if you set up the front suspension so that the wishbones are near enough parallel with the road when the car is stationary, then the roll centre is going to be somewhere between the imaginary axle line and a line between the lower wishbones. 

I may be talking rubbish though, because it is about 50 years since I studied this subject! I am fascinated why you want to know the answer to your question? The answer isn't very useful, unless you also know the height of the centre of mass of the vehicle. And even then, there are so many variables that choosing an anti-rollbar stiffness (for example) is best done by trial and error, I suspect.

Just to add to what I said, the roll centre at the rear of a car with a live axle is more often than not in the centre of the rear axle axis. However,, when the axle is laterally located with a panhard rod (as on the XI) the roll centre will be in the middle of the panhard rod. In the  case of the XI the chassis mounting of the panhard rod is lower than the axle centre line, so the rolll centre will also be a bit lower at the back. Probably therefor similar to the roll centre at the front.

Whether this info is of any practical use is for you to decide!