Wanting to change from Sky TV. What is best.

Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup)

My sky TV is going up again and I do not warrant nearly £50.00 a month to watch TV.

I know there was a post relating to various option but I cannot find the post.

• We do not watch sport.
  • We enjoy documentaries.
  • We like watching films but not interested about paying for them.
  • Not bothered about music channels as we listen to the radio a lot.
  • Must be able to use the existing sky dish.

Looking for advice on what to look for / purchase.

Freesat box that just replaces your sky box.

Have a look what content you can get.

I've always found it was the lack of specific documentary channels that nixed the alternatives for me. Though to be fair, I've not looked round at what the alternatives are doing, for a few years.

I do watch a lot of Discovery (and sister) Channel stuff. Would be curious to hear of any decent alternatives.

I binned Sky years ago and never really missed it..... two options..... keep your existing equipment and ask sky for the free to air card.... you should be able to tune to all the freesat stuff.... if not then get some Humax stuff..... you shouldn't even need to re-align your dish..... I've got the one that allows live pause and record just like sky plus....

PM me if you want further detail...

Nem.....

Thanks all for the advice.  :t-up:

I am looking at the Human HDR 1100S

Looking good at this stage.

Freesat - My Panasonic TV has freesat and freeview tuners built in, bought it 5+ years ago, not sure if they still do them.

I'm the same with sport but I do watch F1. Sky won't let you have just the F1 channel you have to buy a ripoff package with lots of stuff I don't want!

I've been thinking the same thing I got my notice of a price increase today

But I would miss the discovery and F1 channels

Well I have bought one of these and cancelled my Sky.

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/product.php?gid=618

There is £10.00 off at Currys at present.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/set-top-boxes/humax-hdr-1100s-freesat-freetime-hd-recorder-500-gb-10127622-pdt.html#srcid=11026

I am sure that if I want anything else to watch, I can find it over the internet.

Thanks for all the guidance.

I was with Virgin. When I moved house they couldn't provide a service to the new address, but still charged me 10 months rental for my old property.

Caveat emptor.

Sky are better.

Hi John.

I came away from Sky as they have just issued a price hike.

I don't watch a lot of TV and I just didn't want to keep paying out so I have collected the freesat box today, that was recommended above.

Will be good to save nearly £50.00 a month.

More money for petrol.  :t-up:

+1 for Humax.

Saved £50 per month for over 6 years now so Humax box well paid for itself....

Hi All,

I know the OP has now binned Sky, and I'm about to do the same due to cost - have the all singing and dancing package and cannot really justify it anymore, BUT for any other Sky users who might be thinking about changing or binning....if you have never rang them up before contemplating binning them, they normally offer you ridiculous prices fixed for 3 or 6 months to stay with them, which is a significant cost saving for the same service - you can then stay or bin them then?

Food for thought anyhow.

Mart.

Hi Mart.

They offered me the discounts but on reflection I decided to still leave.

I always have the option to return.

If I had children at home and the TV was always on then I would have thought different butI bet the TVs is watched for no more than 30 hours a month at home.

Be careful one and all with the "discounts" they usually imply a new minimum contract term.... The mobile airtime providers called 3 just tried to pull that one on me.....