Correct K&N filter for Megabird airbox? (part number confusion!)

MichaelF

Hope someone can help. I'm confused. Trying to order the correct K&N air filter my 2006 Westfield Megabird that I bought year before last. It's fitted with the standard Westfield airbox for this engine.

I called Westfield who said they no longer sell the filters. They suggested speak to someone like K&N and get them to make up a custom one to fit.

I've checked the pattern paper filter that's in the airbox and it's a "Mann" with code stamped on it: C 2860

The Westfield airbox has stamped inside it that the correct replacement filter is a VW part number: 049133843

Simples! So I thought. Bit of googling later and I ordered a K&N filter which seemed to match up to those part numbers. It's K&N part number is: 33-2002

It's arrived and is physically smaller than the Mann filter and it doesn't reach to the edges of the airbox to seal along the groove wheere the two halves of the airbox plastic housing meet.

I've contacted the dealers who supplied the K&N filter and they've confirmed that the Mann and VW part numbers do cross reference to the K&N 33-2002 part number so they don't understand why it's smaller than th Mann one and isn't the right fit.

Wondering if there is another Megabird owner out there who has worked this out and can help me out.

Thanks

Michael