AndrewOBW

An Irishman, an English chassis and a Japanese car go into a garage...

AdamR

Oil will track water pretty well unless there's an issue, perhaps 10 degrees lower.

Up to 130 oil temp is 'ok' with modern oils, normal max running around 110, but more than 80.

AndrewOBW

Hopefully have an IR gun arriving some time today so I'll be able to check the accuracy of my gauge.  In the mean time, the post IVA upgrades are well underway.  Doors are fitted, with the exception of the poppers for the straps.  Bizarrely they come with the female part fitted, but no male part.  Not included in the fitting kit either.  Then got started on my new steering wheel and quick release boss.  Annoyingly, when ordering the boss, neither I nor Luke at Playskool realised that the Mazda can have different PCD bosses depending on which steering wheel it was built with.  Naturally, mine was the wrong one, so waiting for an adapter too.  That didn't stop me wiring up the freewheel transmitter though.  Took a while, but the end result is nice!

IMG_20190830_152852.thumb.jpg.43fa9abb14fdcba1d9b37268d1b9ecec.jpg

Very happy with the wheel, but I'm not really sure what to do about the boss.  The original Mazda unit isn't exactly pretty, and leaves a massive gap to the dash behind it too.  I can't quite fit the big lump of metal from the Westfield wheel in there.  The splines just start to engage, but not enough for comfort.  I don't particularly want to buy an aftermarket boss either since they're quite pricey.

IMG_20190830_152611.thumb.jpg.564aba5db6ba60be0657d263461aee0c.jpg

• Like 2

AndrewOBW

Well the adapter I ordered was the wrong one unfortunately. Meant for changing pcd in the other direction. I could technically get away with it but it wouldn't look right and would really bother me. Also, tried cleaning and painting my old boss.  Not too happy with the result, so I'm just going to give Luke at playskool a call in the morning and see if he's got a mazda boss with the right pcd in stock. 

Haven't had a chance to check the temperatures again yet. I'd want to do that outside and ideally drive it a little so waiting until I've got a steering wheel fitted again. I've been thinking about it a bit more though, and I think I'm going to invest in a coolex radiator and a new oem thermostat. Looking at what the Mazda one looks like, I'm pretty sure that's not what's fitted at the moment. It's probably overkill, but if it gives me peace of mind and allows me to enjoy the car a bit more without needing one eye permanently on the temperature gauge, I think it's worth it. My camper van recently nearly ruined a couple of weeks in Scotland for me when it was overheating driving up every hill (of which there are a few in Scotland) so I'm probably a little sensitive to overheating issues at the moment. I will still confirm my temperature gauge accuracy though. 

Also got the spare wheel carrier fitted. That was a bit of a challenge. Because I've got an fw front end, the tub is pushed forward a bit more than usual. That coupled with the long range fuel tank meant I couldn't feed the bracket down the inside of the tub from above.  Instead, I dropped a length of string through the bar, and fed it through the gap between the tub and the chassis at the bottom.  Then fished the two ends of string up from the top and used those to lift the bar up until it was level with the holes I'd drilled.  It was fiddly, but I got there in the end! 

IMG_20190901_171623.thumb.jpg.3d91da7d099896988d402f9493e10e53.jpg

Kit Car Electronics
On 30/08/2019 at 15:38, AndrewOBW said:

Hopefully have an IR gun arriving some time today so I'll be able to check the accuracy of my gauge.  In the mean time, the post IVA upgrades are well underway.  Doors are fitted, with the exception of the poppers for the straps.  Bizarrely they come with the female part fitted, but no male part.  Not included in the fitting kit either.  Then got started on my new steering wheel and quick release boss.  Annoyingly, when ordering the boss, neither I nor Luke at Playskool realised that the Mazda can have different PCD bosses depending on which steering wheel it was built with.  Naturally, mine was the wrong one, so waiting for an adapter too.  That didn't stop me wiring up the freewheel transmitter though.  Took a while, but the end result is nice!

IMG_20190830_152852.thumb.jpg.43fa9abb14fdcba1d9b37268d1b9ecec.jpg

Very happy with the wheel, but I'm not really sure what to do about the boss.  The original Mazda unit isn't exactly pretty, and leaves a massive gap to the dash behind it too.  I can't quite fit the big lump of metal from the Westfield wheel in there.  The splines just start to engage, but not enough for comfort.  I don't particularly want to buy an aftermarket boss either since they're quite pricey.

IMG_20190830_152611.thumb.jpg.564aba5db6ba60be0657d263461aee0c.jpg

The wheel looks great, Andrew! 

• Like 1

AndrewOBW
14 hours ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

The wheel looks great, Andrew! 

Thanks Mike!

Well, I've figured out my temperature questions.  Further digging into thermostats shows that Mazda changed the spec around 1994 from an 82 degree thermostat to 88.  Mine being a 91 should have had an 82 fitted, but at some point in the life of the donor it was replaced with an 88.  Picking up an 82 degree one today, so that should hopefully sort that out without the need to fork out an extra £200 on a radiator for the moment.

• Like 1

AndrewOBW

Doors and half hood on, and my new steering wheel with quick release boss fitted. I'm going to have to realign this after I've taken it for a spin but that's a small job. Spent today sorting out some practical storage. Found a neat place to mount my jack in the engine bay. Very simply a strap riveted to the panel over the gearbox:

IMG_20190904_164740.thumb.jpg.6fffad378db22fc422743783b6283477.jpg

Then made up some storage around the rear.  I unfortunately didn't realise until after I'd cut chunks out of it that my boot box was for a short range tank, whereas I've got a long range one so I don't currently have a boot box.  Only a plastic top which looks like it doesn't come off. This actually works out quite well, because it means I've got a place to secure my tools when road tripping. I made up a little frame from some aluminium box and angle section and riveted it in in front of the fuel tank.  This holds an aluminium case which is good for the basic tools. Then my big socket set sits nicely on top of that.

IMG_20190905_140123.thumb.jpg.90edbdea06d5e953377f45fda2d1e110.jpgIMG_20190905_140132.thumb.jpg.fe961853902a6db45a26fdc95495d380.jpg

IMG_20190905_143520.thumb.jpg.7167716387156c96f8307ebf222be2d7.jpg

Other than fitting number plates when I get some post from the DVLA, the car is ready to go on a big road trip... And go on a big road trip it will. 

I've been keeping a little quiet about this as I was terrified of anything going wrong, but at this point, I've done everything I can.  Pretty much as soon as I have registration plates on the car, I'll be hopping on a ferry to Holland, before driving to Germany, then Denmark, Sweden, Finland, and off down to Eastern Europe for a few weeks before coming back across the Alps at the end of October. 

The initial plan was for this to be a 3 month trip with me in the westie and my friend in his MX5, but unfortunately my build took longer than I had expected, so I've missed the first leg up through Norway to the Arctic circle.  Once I hit the road, I'll be covering some pretty big miles every day to try to catch my friend up in Finland. 

Once I've got registration plates, it will literally be a case of finding somewhere to get my ride height sorted and wheels aligned, and then I'll be off on the ferry the next day.  I'm hoping to get NMS to sort my alignment as they're not that far away from me and know Westfields, but if anyone has any other garage recommendations for alignment around the Midlands/Warwickshire, let me know! 

• Like 6

Chris Broster - Bristol & Bath AO

What a fantastic baptism of fire you have planned!  I can't wait to read the blog on that and definitely a Westfield World article in the making...hint, hint! Best of luck.

• Like 2

Geoffrey (Buttercup) - North Yorkshire AO

Sounds fantastic.

Would be interested in your route up through Norway and ferries etc.

We looked at going but I struggled with the actual logistics in Norway.

• Like 1

Mark (smokey mow)

That sounds epic :cool: the run to the IVA test and back should at least give you some confidence in the reliability of the car and build.

When I was building mine I'd always said that when it was finished I would drive it to LeMans, so sure enough a month after it was completed I set off on the 1200 mile drive across france.

• Like 3

AndrewOBW

Some post arrived today...

Just need to get some reg plates made and mounted now! Annoyingly, I've got a crazy busy day today and tomorrow moving my tintop and a load of my stuff back to Ireland on the ferry tonight so I won't have a chance to drive it until Thursday. 

Fortunately NMS have been good enough to slot me in for alignment on Thursday afternoon, so with the last few bits to organise after that and a day or two to shake it down, I'm aiming to get a ferry from Harwich to Holland on Sunday morning, hopefully get to my brother's place in Düsseldorf for Sunday night, Denmark Monday, and on to Sweden by Tuesday.

Ambitious, I know, but where's the fun in taking it easy! 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Mad as a hatter, but what an utterly fantastic plan for its first proper trip!

Dommo

That trip will need a write up all of its own!

AndrewOBW

Day one with registration plates fitted and the westie is in getting some love! 

IMG_20190912_150724.thumb.jpg.f75525affaee16ff00e77bc9dae07c26.jpg

Unfortunately my rear springs are a bit too soft and are ending up spring bound when setting the ride height so new springs on the way! To be fair, the car is about 80kg heavier than I was expecting when I ordered the suspension originally. Might have to take a drive up again in the morning if we don't get it all finished today.

I say "have to" as though I won't be out driving the car again tomorrow morning anyway! 

• Like 1

AndrewOBW

Well that's certainly a lot better!  Pretty close to what AdamR recommended for baseline settings. The "before" measurement below was done after the ride height adjustment and new springs went on, so isn't really any form of representation of what I went in with initially. 

IMG_20190912_185746.thumb.jpg.6a074c6fce827fe673a6ad12c4f20a03.jpg

As with all the other references Northampton Motor Sport have on here, I have to say they were fantastic. They were able to slot me in before the weekend despite how busy they were, and Chris did a great job with the car, despite it being difficult at times (the diff brackets didn't want to line up with thr damper mounts after we swapped the springs over and took a fair bit of effort to get back together).  Everyone was really polite and helpful, and they had some absolutely fascinating machines around the workshop. Really great to see the place! 

Went for a little drive last night too, and was very quickly reminded of just how much I'd changed the rake of the car! My headlights were almost pointing at the floor! So I gave them a tweak back up when I got home. Will take a look again tonight and see if it's in the right place now! 

The car certainly feels completely different. Having read all of the threads in tyre choices lately I'm slightly regretting picking NS2Rs. I'm used to driving cars where I can find the limits of them pretty easily, withiut really pushing all that hard. With the westie, the limit of the car is so much further than where I've been able to go in the past, which, while it feels great, it's a little unnerving not to know where it is! Some road tyres might have been a better call for letting me get to know the car better. Or maybe a couple of track days will tell me what I need to know! 

• Like 1

AdamR

You'll find the limit soon enough Andrew, and it'll still be manageable and controllable. No ARBs I and a nice alignment does the job well.

Glad you had a good experience at NMS, setup looks spot on 👍

• Like 1