AndrewOBW

An Irishman, an English chassis and a Japanese car go into a garage...

AndrewOBW

...I'll let you come up with the punch line.

So I figure it's about time I start a build thread for one of the slowest Westfield builds ever.  It might actually motivate me to move a little quicker!  I picked up a 1991 1.6 MX5 back in October 2014, picked up my Westfield starter kit in February 2015.  A garage (house) move later and it's been progressing very slowly since then!

So a few shots from along the way so far:

The donor:

IMG_0627_(1).thumb.JPG.e0ba38a961770914cedf9331f267bac7.JPG

Kit collection:

IMG_0761.thumb.JPG.0cd882fb0419274bb9b896d903b2f295.JPG

Moving garage (that's how low a Subaru sits with half a Mazda in the boot and and a Westie chassis on the roof...):

IMG_1070.thumb.JPG.4a51f403cead92d77de1a4f8b024d8df.JPG

Painting a few bits and pieces while saving up some cash for the more expensive bits (who doesn't want purple driveshafts??):

IMG_1253.thumb.JPG.f4473f46ddf44f82596831f90477a7c7.JPG

IMG_1245.thumb.JPG.123f01b179782dd082bc6b9fcaa500e8.JPG

Installing the panels (apologies to the purists, it's fake carbon fibre wrap - I'm on a tight budget!):

IMG_20160305_152325.thumb.jpg.4405f29222ebf853fb37d0de97c248ca.jpg

Of course, a mandatory action shot of me looking like an idiot:

IMG_20160305_163856.thumb.jpg.297e709414b499fe81bc08fec822bb3a.jpg

IMG_20160305_170259_(1).thumb.jpg.4f285089a56fade0f293bad5f68aaf15.jpg

IMG_20160305_192815.thumb.jpg.18eefaee53c17f1ed2deddb51b65d474.jpg

Tunnel sides haven't been fitted yet.  I've got the handbrake in using riv nuts and countersunk bolts so looks nice and tidy at the moment and shouldn't impede too much on the tunnel space!

P.S.  I also want to thank the Westfield team for their quick turnaround with any errors or missing bits, even a year after collection.  As soon as I've noticed anything wrong, it's been at my door the next day.  Customer service how it should be!

I also want to thank my good friends Stephen and Elena, without whom, the (little) progress so far would have been much slower!

• Like 2

Kyle

Brilliant, we can have a build-off to see who wins at taking the longest to build a Mazda SDV :d  I picked my kit up in April last year but I have the engine and everything in now so currently you're winning. I best slow down...

The carbon wrap looks really good. I'm carpeting mine for now as that's what I'd prefer but if I can't hit my target weight it's all coming out :oops:

Dommo

The green ones make the best donors :d

• Like 1

AndrewOBW

Brilliant, we can have a build-off to see who wins at taking the longest to build a Mazda SDV :d  I picked my kit up in April last year but I have the engine and everything in now so currently you're winning. I best slow down...

The carbon wrap looks really good. I'm carpeting mine for now as that's what I'd prefer but if I can't hit my target weight it's all coming out :oops:

I've got a bit of catching up to do!  The carbon is cheap and cheerful.  It's not perfect up close but it's good enough for me.  Weight was the main reason for it really.  Should be easy to clean too.

andyismilesaway

Slowest build? Come on :) 5 years just ticked over for me - how did that happen!? (house, wedding, baby is how it happened)

So for that accolade you really have to reel in the pace ;)

Nice to see another mx5 thread btw

• Like 1

AndrewOBW

Back in the garage again this weekend to fit the pedals. Annoyingly I seem to be missing the two M8 x 55mm bolts needed for the brake and accelerator pedals which has nicely stopped me again. I have fitted the clutch pedal, however there is a lot of play in it. The M8 pin I have used is 70mm long rather than the 60 quoted in the book but I think it's more to do with the amount of lateral movement the pedal has within the bracket on the chassis. Is this normal or should I pack it out with some washers?

I'll stick up a couple of pictures when I'm back home.

AndrewOBW

Also, should Westfield have supplied p clips for the brake and fuel lines? If I'm buying them, do they need to be plastic or metal? Had a quick scan of the IVA manual and can't see anything to confirm.

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

No, not in standard kits, you need to buy them.

I'd always recommend buying plastic, it's easier! Metal are allowable provided they have a rubber/plastic liner to protect the pipes. (Which is why I always just get plastic to begin with!)

AndrewOBW

No, not in standard kits, you need to buy them.

I'd always recommend buying plastic, it's easier! Metal are allowable provided they have a rubber/plastic liner to protect the pipes. (Which is why I always just get plastic to begin with!)

Great, thanks. I'm assuming the likes of these would do the job?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00CIOGPIW/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1462724389&sr=8-2π=SX200_QL40&keywords=p+clips&dpPl=1&dpID=41sXsXB3LDL&ref=plSrch

AndrewOBW

Did a bit more this weekend but didn't make as much progress as I'd hoped due to a few road blocks.  The quoted bolts for the brake and clutch master cylinders seemed a bit short:

IMG_20160514_125636.thumb.jpg.e388250bf53230c81d6677e0aab3e3a2.jpg

So I replaced them with the next longer ones.  These are fine in 3 of the 4 holes but one of them I think  may be getting a little close to where one of the clutch fluid lines is going to run.  Does this look ok or do I need to get the angry grinder out?

IMG_20160515_111346.thumb.jpg.9d696b89df03320920f5e28d3d576726.jpg

Also, the pin for the billet brake clevis seems to be too short.  I can't fit the split pin in with washers either side.  Is this another standard error with the Westie kit?

IMG_20160514_125605.thumb.jpg.b0cc65b93dccf4e4b1d6421f19cc497d.jpg

Also, I'm still not convinced by the clearances around the clutch pedal (the other pedals aren't much better but clutch is particularly bad).  Not sure how to upload a video directly so here's a link if it makes some sense!  I've stuck another washer on the outside so now the bar itself stays still but there's still a lot of space for the pedal to move side to side on the spacer tubes used.

http://vid47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/andrewobyrnewhite4/Westfield/VID_20160508_111841_zpsy4ibl9ea.mp4

EBD Engineering

I think I used longer bolts like you have. Regarding the clutch pedal. Depending on how wide the gap is you could either put washers on the inside to pack it out. But I think I may have squeezed the bracket together to take up the play and I'll have to check my build thread as to what I did with the split pin

EBD Engineering

Looking at my pictures I didn't have any problems with the split pin. But I did have a couple of pins to select from in my kit

AndrewOBW

Now that payday has come back around I'm finally back to ordering parts.  I'm trying to order some suspension (as one of the large cost items of the build) before I blow this month's pay on nothing again.  The dampers I'm going with are Quantum One.Zeros.  They're adjustable but I'm hoping someone can help me with a quick sanity check of the spec before I push the button? The spec Quantum have sent me is this:

Front    344mm open length (85mm travel)   250lb/in spring

Rear     366mm open length (90mm travel)   130lb/in spring

I've tried to dig through as many of the forums as possible and the spring rate numbers in particular look a bit lower than most of the other cars out there.  I'm guessing this is down to the fact that the Mazda engine etc. is a little lighter than pintos, zetecs etc. but do any of the Mazda crew know what they fit?  Planning on a mix of road/track/sprints.

Mark (smokey mow)

I'm no where near a car to check lengths, but on a Mazda SDV the front dampers are longer than "normal" Westfield's as the damper mounts are further out and in the same position as for wide track suspension.

Dommo

They should be 14" front and rear, about 355mm. Mine was supplied with 12.5" shocks for the front (317mm) which compromises the front ride height, making it very low. It's just a shame it took me 4 years to figure it out!