American spell checker when posting.

Welly Jen

Is the spell checker used when posting based on the forum, or on the browser, or operating system set up? I always seem to get an American spell checker when posting here, so tyre, colour and so on get the red squiggles underneath in the editor. Makes it harder to spot actual spellling mishtakes. As far as I know I have language set to UK English everywhere on my gadgets, but may have missed something.

If it is forum based, is it possible to have an English spell checker in the posting editor, rather than an American one? Most of the forum membership are UK based. A minor thing, but can it be changed?

Jen

Totally agree

Mine seem to be entirely device based. I can't find a spell check module in the back office settings, (though that doesn't mean there isn't one, however I've never heard of it.

Not sure why your existing spell checkers, assuming you have them should treat the Boardroom differently.

I've certainly no issue with UK spellings being changed.

Despite your current Chairman being a wretched Colonial, there is no spellchecker software in the club forums - that'll be in your browser software or OS.

Yep just tested your settings Jen, it's something happening at your end. and it'll be the same for you Ollie.

Many if not all browsers that actually have spell checkers tend to default to US English (on lap top's, PC's etc) tablet's and phone's can be better at picking up the right dictionary as they tend to use the phone/tablet's built in dictionary. But note some browsers on some mobile OS's do seem to use their own internal dictionaries.

That's good to know. I'll check through the settings at my end. Now I think about it, if the spell checking was at the forum server end, then each word would have to be sent to the server as I type, then come back with a right/wrong reply. Not so practical.

Jen

Just been through the OS settings on this laptop again and some of the GB dictionaries weren't installed properly, so the browser was defaulting to US English. All fixed now. Colour, tyre, antidisestablishmentarianism, all without the red squiggles. Thanks everyone.

Jen

• Like 2