1700 X-flow general lack of power

confused.com

Erm, slightly embarrassing really. It broke down last year and Mr RAC said the coil had gone. We fitted a shiny lumenition coil to match the ignition last month. Tried to start it today and nothing, checked spark etc which was all good but still nothing. My mate said "it has got fuel in it hasn't it" i said "must have, its on the plugs". Topped the fuel up anyway and, well you can guess the rest. Started first time..

Oops! Most of us have similar tales if we've been playing with cars long enough...

The plugs on the first two were dry and the second two were wet, no signs of burning. Would this indicate poor carb settup?

How do i check the fuel pressure, as per BillyPee's advice?

It is actually possible (as I found out after rebuilding my carbs) to have them so far out of balance that you think they are balanced, because as you adjust either way it gets really rough.

To explain this, if the balanced point looks like a narrow peak on a graph, there would be a smaller peak on either side of that which could fool you into thinking your on the sweet spot when your not. Kinda like the side bands on an AM radio signal (anyone with a TV/Radio background?).

How do i check the fuel pressure, as per BillyPee's advice?

The cheapest option is to use a stand alone fuel pressure gauge. However, I have fitted a Malpassi Filter King Fuel Pressure Regulator. This has a take off built in to allow you to attach the included gauge. You want about 3 PSI and the FPR allows you to set this. Once set, you remove the gauge and block the hole with a screw, i.e. you don't leave the gauge permanently attached. It incorporates a replaceable filter too. Test the pressure just before the carbs.

The reason for doing this is to make sure that you have enough fuel pressure to keep the floats full but not so much that it pushes past the needle and your carbs start leaking.

Thanks guys, do you think the best place for the carb settup would be the rolling road? I used to use an old chap in a van who used an oscilloscope and an ear trumpet :) but he's retired.

Balancing carbs is usually done statically at about 1250-1500 rpm and not on a rolling road

Thanks guys, do you think the best place for the carb settup would be the rolling road? I used to use an old chap in a van who used an oscilloscope and an ear trumpet :) but he's retired.

Balancing carbs is usually done statically at about 1250-1500 rpm and not on a rolling road

In my experience, its a bit of both. Terry is correct in that you don't need the rolling road to balance the carbs and get the idle right. Thats just a case of doing it by ear if you are experienced or with a syncrometer if you are not. If you take your car to a rolling road they will probably do this first for you (although they won't be using the rolling road for this process). Doing it yourself will save time and money.

What they will use the rolling road for is to get the jetting right (and possibly timing too depending on your ignition setup).