Tuned MX5 Engine - SOLD

KugaWestie

After succesfully supercharging my Mark 2 MX5 Engine, I can now offer my previous tuned Naturally Aspirated Engine for sale.

This is a 1994 MX5 Mark One 1.8 Engine. 

It is a totally standard bottom end that has done about 70,000 miles. I had the sump off and have had a look at the bearings and it is in good condition.

The head has been "Optimised" by Fraser and Richard at BLiNK Motorsport, and has done around 3000 miles since the work was done. This involved a total clean of the head, all the valves were cleaned and then angles recut on the valves and also the seats. New K Liners were fitted to the valve guides. Some work flow optimising work was done to the chambers around the valves.

The head is also fitted with some Piper reprofiled Camshafts to suit the NA tune.

The head would run with the stock Mazda ECU, but you would probably have to swap the cams out and put some standard ones back in from your existing head, easy enough job to do.

To gain the full potential of the head and Cams you would need an aftermarket ECU (I think)

Here are some photos of the work that was done to the head

ValvesPolished_zpsbf556581.jpg

Valverefacing_zps958be335.jpg

ValveSeatCutting_zps050c7117.jpg

K-Liners_zpsbb31452b.jpg

SAM_1570_zpsbeb9ca10.jpg

To give you an idea of what this would cost you if you were doing this from scratch:-

BLiNK charge £450 + VAT = £540 for a head that you supply to them to work on. 

http://www.blinkmotorsport.com/cylinderhead.html 

I reckon you can pick up a standard engine for about £150 normally. You would need to at least source a head from somewhere.

Piper reprofile cams are £221 + VAT = £265. http://www.pipercams.co.uk/pipercams/www/product.php?pid=MAZMX18BP270H

So if you were going to do it yourself from scratch you would be looking at £955.00.

Power graph below - this is at the hubs. BLiNK's view is to multiply this by 1.33 to get to flywheel power. That equates to 160bhp at the flywheel and 140 Torque.

Dotted lines were the stock engine before tuning. The gain against the standard engine was 33%, yes that's right, 33%

PowerRun-Mapped-page-001_zpsc0fadff4.jpg

This is the engine when it was removed. It has been stored undercover since then

35D22DFB-A44D-48BB-8546-6421D864FB4F_zps
AF32F874-4133-43FE-BD28-FC769A52F98C_zps
3CA54472-D20E-40B7-99FD-2D7C651020A6_zps
7FD6DBA2-6B07-4C71-97CF-D72CE05D5700_zps
3E671EF9-27C0-44D1-A532-043DEDDE1231_zps

This is exactly how it is now, and what you see is what you get, with the exclusion of the oil pressure sender and coolant temperature sender that have since been removed.

This is a really great engine package and a cheap power upgrade for someone wanting a little bit more power from their MX5 Engined Westfield. With the standard Cams refitted it really is a plug and play upgrade. The cams are probably worth between 5-10 bhp, so it would still be a great upgrade with standard cams

Obviously this would have to be collection only due to the size and weight!

I also have another complete spare 1.8 Mark One engine, which I could throw in for a small additional cost. If you fancy building a forged engine this could work for you. Or if you just want a spare engine for peace of mind, this ticks the box.

This is a strong engine making good power, and will transform the Westfield over a standard MX5 engine.

I could also supply a copy of the Tuned map which would suit a Plug N Play Megasquirt.

The price - £500

Add a megasquirt ECU (pnp is £530, others as low as £430) and wideband (£130) and that's a pretty cheap way to a blink 160 kit!

Engine SOLD

Deposit taken

Subject to final payment and collection

Considering what I'm about to shell out at Skuzzle this week, that's a bargain for whoever bought it!  

• Like 1

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.