Where do I buy a half hood?

GuyT

Morning all,

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy a half hood? I know that Westfield and Softbits sell them. I've had a "conversation" with one of these companies and having called twice and emailed twice they seem pretty disinterested in relieving me of my money - which I find incredible!

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

cheers

Guy

What you say always amazes me, the lack of wanting to sell you something!! Incredible

Mines from Westfield, it's ok, but as you will find, needs 'roof bars' to keep the roof from hitting your head!

Also the rear ties are awkward to resolve. You will read about different options, for me the local trimmer made longer version which pulled down to boot tonneau

Good luck

Andy

I would persevere with Soft Bits.

I know from experience the communication can be lacking but the products are superb and I have a number of their items.

Sadly Nick Judd at SoftBits has been taken seriously ill, that probably explains any lack of communication recently.

I have the Westfield one.

As above, I needed roof bars as I have playskool roll bar but a couple of mop handles and some metal bent to shape and Bob's your uncle.

Dave

I have a SB4S 1/2 hood with support bars and know a few that have the Westfield version, in reality there is very little difference between them in standard form.  SB4S offers the ability to "tailor" the hood with their "easy-in" hood zips that are very useful for the taller driver however, they're a one-man outfit so with Tony crook there will be an impact on service - it always took a degree of perseverance.  From comments on these forums, the need for the support bars appears to be greater with lower roll bars, I've somewhat vertically challenged (5'7") and even with an RAC Roll Bar I wouldn't be without them. I only have a 1/2 hood but to me it transforms ownership allowing long distance touring providing just enough protection even in very bad weather.

I'm with Buttercup on this one I'd persevere with Softbits, but recognise they can be a pain to get hold of sometime.

The quality of their work is second to none.

• Like 1

As above, I needed roof bars as I have playskool roll bar but a couple of mop handles and some metal bent to shape and Bob's your uncle.

Dave

Mines from Westfield, it's ok, but as you will find, needs 'roof bars' to keep the roof from hitting your head!

Also the rear ties are awkward to resolve. You will read about different options, for me the local trimmer made longer version which pulled down to boot tonneau

Good luck

Andy

I don't have these issues with my WF half hood at all. Doesn't hit my head without roof bars and Playskool MSA. Again, same with the rear ties, if anything miles to long for me:

2015-04-13%2016.33.36%20HDR-2%20-%20Copy

their "easy-in" hood zips that are very useful for the taller driver 

...and for those whose back does not bend as it should.  The vertical entry and exit makes a hood possible for me.

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to feedback that I have now taken delivery of my half hood  :d from SBF7's and the workmanship appears fantastic.  I have to give credit where credit is due, SBF7's modified the straps for me slightly so I got what I wanted so thanks indeed.  

I just need to fit the hood now which could be interesting by the looks of things because I have ZERO idea how it attaches to the screen?  I assume I need to add some pop studs to the front of the half hood (I shall be looking tomorrow), it isn't just held on with the screen channel is it?  Advice appreciated  :d    I'll then need to maybe make some roof bars too but lets get the roof fitted first and see where we go from there.  If anyone could provide details or photos of how there half hood is attached to the screen I'd be very grateful.  I have a screen channel and I know how the back straps connect but the screen "attachment" is currently a mystery...... to be resolved.

Cheers

• Like 1

Hello.

Mine sits over the screen with the attached plastic channel. There is then a pull fixing that attached to the middle of the windscreen over a spike that looks like the spike on the top of an old German helmet. There are then two poppers, one on each corner of the hood that fits over the poppers in the corner of the windscreen. Everything came supplied.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A6XvQQUd78g

Dave

Tried this on mine and it works a treat.  Cost me nothing, too as I had a couple of handles already!